View post tag: Navy View post tag: Naval Industry news View post tag: attack View post tag: Indian View post tag: ‘Nerpa’ Project 971U Schuka-B nuclear-powered attack submarine (SSN) K-152 Nerpa has been leased to Indian Navy; the handing-over ceremony was held on Jan 23 at Zvezda Shipyard in Bolshoi Kamen (Primorsky Krai), an undisclosed informed source told Interfax.The ceremony was attended by representatives of Rosoboronexport, United Shipbuilding Corporation, Pacific Fleet (PF) command, and India’s diplomatic mission; it started at 10.30 am, local time (3.30 am, Moscow time). At request of the Indian party, press was not allowed to participate in the ceremony, said the interviewee.The submarine obtained the name of INS Chakra and will be controlled by Indian crew during the next 10 years without participation of Russian experts. The contract costs over $900 mln, reminds ITAR-TASS.The acceptance certificate was signed on Dec 30, 2011 in Russian Navy Main HQ. Nerpa was supposed to join Indian Navy in 2008, but an accident happened to the sub during sea trials in Nov 2008; 20 men died then and leasing date was postponed. Later on, it was changed many times due to non-availability of onboard combat systems, reminds Interfax.In Aug 2010, some media agencies reported that Nerpa had already departed for India; however, that information was refuted by Amur Shipyard and Pacific Fleet HQ.Nerpa will be the only nuclear-powered submarine in Indian Navy and be stationed at the Visakhapatnam naval base. Supposedly, the sub would be used as training platform for the crew of Indian-made nuclear submarine INS Arihant.[mappress]Naval Today Staff , January 24, 2012 Back to overview,Home naval-today Indian Navy Gets Nuclear-Powered Attack Submarine Nerpa Indian Navy Gets Nuclear-Powered Attack Submarine Nerpa January 24, 2012 View post tag: gets Share this article View post tag: submarine View post tag: Nuclear-Powered View post tag: News by topic
Published on June 26, 2014 at 2:42 pm Contact Phil: [email protected] | @PhilDAbb NEW YORK — For the second straight year, a Syracuse point guard is a first-round pick in the NBA Draft.Following in Michael Carter-Williams’ footsteps, Tyler Ennis was selected 18th overall by the Phoenix Suns on Thursday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. He was the fourth point guard selected, after the Boston Celtics took Oklahoma State’s Marcus Smart sixth overall, the Philadelphia 76ers picked Elfred Payton of Louisiana-Lafayette at No. 10 and the Minnesota Timberwolves chose former UCLA man Zach Lavine at No. 12 overall.In his one season with the Orange, Ennis seamlessly took over the point guard position and was instrumental to SU’s program-record 25-0 start. He played in all 34 games and averaged 12.9 points, 5.5 assists and 2.1 steals per contest.Ennis developed a knack for late-game heroics, highlighted by his 3-pointer from 35 feet out as time expired to steal a win from Pittsburgh and extend Syracuse’s undefeated run.He also took the Orange’s final shot of the year, a 3-point attempt that rimmed out in the final seconds of SU’s loss to Dayton in the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament. He officially declared for the draft five days later.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThere remains some doubt about his athleticism, his ability to play man-to-man and his outside shooting as an NBA prospect, but his poise and knowledge of the game were more than enough to make him worthy of a first-round selection.“I’m real excited,” he said. “I think at this point, everybody just wants to hear their name called.“I’m more than ready to work.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
The absence of Ethan Happ is conjuring up many questions about the future of the University of Wisconsin men’s basketball team (1-1) this season. It also is leaving many people skeptical about the where the offensive production will be coming from. This might be part of the reason why the Badgers were left out of the AP preseason top-25 poll to start the year. But the absence of Ethan Happ might just be a blessing in disguise for the Badgers.In the 2018-2019 season, Ethan Happ started in 34 games playing a total of 1088 minutes. Not only did he rarely leave the floor, but the ball rarely ever left his hands either. Happ was responsible for putting up 24.9% of all shots taken by Wisconsin throughout the entire season.Individually, Happ was efficient on the offensive side of the ball by shooting 53% from the field, converting 257 of his 485 field goal attempts. Happ was responsible for scoring 589 of the Badgers’ 2333 points all of last season. So yes, individually Happ scored a lot of points and produced a generous amount of the total offense for the Badgers, but the real question to ask is, how efficient was it?The Badgers were scoring only 68.6 points per game last season. This was detailed with season lows of 46 points against Virginia, 52 points against Minnesota and Michigan, 56 points in a second meeting with Minnesota, 55 points against Michigan State and then a disappointing 54 points in their first-round exit of the NCAA tournament last season against Oregon. The Badgers ranked 277th out of 353 Division I college basketball teams in points per game last season.Men’s Basketball: Diving deep into Badgers’ prospects for 2019-2020Ethan Happ has been the unquestioned leader of the University of Wisconsin men’s basketball team over the past three seasons. Read…Happ’s inability to step outside and shoot the three was also problematic for the Badgers last year as Happ found himself double-teamed in the post frequently. The constant pressure led to 104 turnovers by the big man and a very predictable offense to defend.With all of this being said, this is no knock on Happ. He was a phenomenal athlete who accomplished a lot in his collegiate career and was one of the best players to ever play for Wisconsin. However, he undoubtedly slowed down the offensive efficiency for the Badgers due to the attention he drew on himself and his one-dimension style of play. This is why the departure of Happ should lead to optimistic hope in Madison. Now Nate Reuvers will take over in the low post at the center position. Reuvers will provide a much more versatile approach to the offense with his ability to knock down the three along with his shot-blocking presence in the low post.This year without Happ, the Badgers will be forced to share the ball more and look to have a much more balanced attack on the offensive. During their exhibition match against UW-La Crosse, the Badgers had five scorers in double figures, a balanced attack as Kobe King said.“Even in our scrimmage we had pretty balanced scoring,” King said. “It could be anybody’s night.”Men’s Basketball: Badgers absent from AP top 25 rankingsDisappointingly, the 2019-2020 Wisconsin men’s basketball team is not ranked amongst the top 25 teams in the country in the Read…The Badgers will be forced to look to everyone on the court for scoring production this season. Their team is perfectly capable of producing big numbers with guys like D’Mitrik Trice and Brad Davison handling the ball, complemented by aggressive wings in Aleem Ford and King who will be looking to drive to the basket.“We got guys who can kind of create and hit shots,” Kind said. “It‘s nice to have that kind of depth. It doesn’t really put a lot of pressure on one person. I think that will help us make a deep run.”King is one of those players, and this season he will be looking to finally make his mark and establish himself as a dominant force in the Wisconsin offense.“It‘s good to see that he is confident,” Head Coach Greg Gard said of King. “He had the whole offseason to prepare, where a year ago he didn’t.”Kobe King — former Mr. Basketball of the state of Wisconsin — was sidelined due to an injury in his true freshman season, and then only played in a limited role coming off the bench last season. King was scoring 4.2 points per game in his 19 minutes per game.“Kobe has worked, Kobe has improved his game, improved his body,” Gard said. “It‘s good to see him stepping up. He has had a good offseason and a good preseason. He is ready for his opportunity.”Basketball: A day in the life of a UW basketball hopefulThree minutes. That’s essentially what about 50 guys went through hell and back for last Wednesday night when they flooded Read…Another major area the offense can improve on for this upcoming season is free-throw shooting. The Badgers only shot 64.8% on free throws last season, much of which came from Happ’s dismal 46.6% from the line.“We got to get better at the line, and we will be,” King said. “The more we shoot in the Kohl Center, the better we will get. Coach Gard said we are all capable of making 80% of our free throws, so we will definitely grow in that area.”A 15% increase in free throws would significantly help the offensive efficiency for the Badgers. Getting to the line is not the issue for the Badgers, as Coach Gard explained.“That is step one, now we need to convert,” Gard said.We will see what lays ahead for the Wisconsin offense and how they will perform this upcoming season against top tier defenses. According to RPI college basketball’s ranking of strength of schedule, the Badgers will be facing the 22nd toughest schedule in the nation, a difficult task given the team’s youth and inexperience.
Odell Beckham Jr.’s trade to the Browns shocked the sports world and caused the city of Cleveland to erupt.One fan was so excited the Browns acquired the receiver that he scared his neighbor into dialing 911. The police then had to explain Stewart’s behavior to Jackson, who also was unaware of the trade.“(The officer) asked me if I was a Browns fan; I said, ‘Not really.’ He was like, ‘The kid was celebrating the Browns’ big win.’ I was like, ‘They played a game?’ He goes, ‘No, they got Odell Beckham Jr.’ I was like, ‘Oh. Well, congratulations,'” Jackson recounted.The full interview can be seen below:ICYMI: This kid is a star! His OBJ celebration prompted a 911 call. We talked to him yesterday: https://t.co/NCoTMOnBN6 pic.twitter.com/aM59DzagEn— fox8news (@fox8news) March 14, 2019 “Then I saw this man running down the street just flailing his arms and I was like, ‘Oh my God.'”Jackson called 911 and said she was concerned that a man was running around screaming and flailing his arms.Meanwhile, Stewart was unaware that he scared his neighbor and was celebrating outside because he was so excited.“Boom. We got OBJ. I was so excited. I couldn’t help myself,” Stewart said. “I was jumping all around my house because I couldn’t help myself; I was so excited. My brother told me to stop, but I couldn’t because I was so excited. Couldn’t nothing stop me. So I had to rejoice outside.”Next thing Stewart knew, police were questioning him about what was going on. He explained that the Browns had acquired Beckham and said the cops joined him in the celebration.“They were like, ‘Oh! We got OBJ!!’ We dapped it up. Everything was all cool. They went about their day,” Stewart said. NFL trade rumors: Browns ‘more than willing to deal’ running back Duke Johnson According to Fox 8 News in Cleveland, Corita Jackson called the police after she saw 17-year-old Robert Stewart running in the street screaming.“We had just gotten home from getting groceries around 8:30 p.m. Then I heard screaming. At first I thought it was a woman because the screaming was so high-pitched,” Jackson said. Related News
TweetPinShare0 Shares ATHENS (AP). Panathinaikos beat Giannena 3-0 in the Greek league on Sunday despite playing more than half the game a man down.Panayiotis Vlahodimos scored in the 26th minute and Marcus Berg added two more from the 82nd onward as Panathinaikos took advantage of poor defending by the home side.Giannena failed to exploit Zeca’s 39th minute dismissal after a second yellow card in three minutes – despite the hosts creating a few chances, with Dimitris Farfalis missing from point-blank range in the 75th.Panathinaikos is in third place, a point behind AEK Athens, which beat league leader Olympiakos 1-0 on Saturday. Giannena is 12th.Also, fourth-place Panionios drew 1-1 at Kalloni, Panetolikos beat Levadiakos 2-0 and Iraklis won 1-0 at PAOK.