Indian Navy Gets Nuclear-Powered Attack Submarine Nerpa

first_img View post tag: Navy View post tag: Naval Industry news View post tag: attack View post tag: Indian View post tag: ‘Nerpa’ Project 971U Schuka-B nuclear-powered attack submarine (SSN) K-152 Nerpa has been leased to Indian Navy; the handing-over ceremony was held on Jan 23 at Zvezda Shipyard in Bolshoi Kamen (Primorsky Krai), an undisclosed informed source told Interfax.The ceremony was attended by representatives of Rosoboronexport, United Shipbuilding Corporation, Pacific Fleet (PF) command, and India’s diplomatic mission; it started at 10.30 am, local time (3.30 am, Moscow time). At request of the Indian party, press was not allowed to participate in the ceremony, said the interviewee.The submarine obtained the name of INS Chakra and will be controlled by Indian crew during the next 10 years without participation of Russian experts. The contract costs over $900 mln, reminds ITAR-TASS.The acceptance certificate was signed on Dec 30, 2011 in Russian Navy Main HQ. Nerpa was supposed to join Indian Navy in 2008, but an accident happened to the sub during sea trials in Nov 2008; 20 men died then and leasing date was postponed. Later on, it was changed many times due to non-availability of onboard combat systems, reminds Interfax.In Aug 2010, some media agencies reported that Nerpa had already departed for India; however, that information was refuted by Amur Shipyard and Pacific Fleet HQ.Nerpa will be the only nuclear-powered submarine in Indian Navy and be stationed at the Visakhapatnam naval base. Supposedly, the sub would be used as training platform for the crew of Indian-made nuclear submarine INS Arihant.[mappress]Naval Today Staff , January 24, 2012 Back to overview,Home naval-today Indian Navy Gets Nuclear-Powered Attack Submarine Nerpa Indian Navy Gets Nuclear-Powered Attack Submarine Nerpa January 24, 2012 View post tag: gets Share this article View post tag: submarine View post tag: Nuclear-Powered View post tag: News by topiclast_img read more

Former diplomats to speak at Notre Dame

first_imgFormer Secretaries of State John Kerry and Condoleezza Rice will speak in a forum at the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center as part of an event hosted by Notre Dame’s International Security Center, Rooney Center for the Study of American Democracy, Common Ground Committee and BridgeND on March 19, the University announced in a press release Tuesday. The forum is titled “Finding Common Ground on America’s Role in the World” and will be moderated by Howard LaFranchi, a diplomacy correspondent for The Christian Science Monitor.“We look forward to a fascinating and productive conversation between Secretaries Rice and Kerry, two experienced leaders in American foreign policy,” Christina Wolbrecht, professor of political science and director of the Rooney Center, said. “The Rooney Center and our partners are delighted to bring this unique and exciting dialogue to Notre Dame to educate and inform the campus community, as well as contribute to pressing national policy debates.”Rice is a Notre Dame alumna and member of the Republican party, while Kerry is a Democrat. The two will discuss differences in political discourse between the two parties. A Pew Research study said though 72 percent of the public agree that protecting the United States from terrorism should be an important priority for the country, views on specific foreign policy goals differ between Democrats and Republicans. For example, 70 percent of Republicans believe that military superiority should be a priority for the United States, while only 34 percent of Democrats would agree.In addition, about 39 percent of Democrats support helping refugees who are fleeing violent home countries, but only 11 percent of Republicans support these actions. The partisan divide on the importance of reducing undocumented immigration is even larger — with 68 percent of Republicans supporting it as a priority, as compared to 20 percent of Democrats.“Secretaries Kerry and Rice are both exemplars of BridgeND’s mission, and we are thrilled to help bring these two distinguished speakers to Notre Dame’s campus to demonstrate the possibilities of constructive discourse,” Christian McGrew, former president of BridgeND and current executive board member of BridgeUSA, said. The event will take place from 7 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. on March 19 in Debartolo Performing Arts Center. All tickets for the event have been sold.Tags: American Politics, BridgeND, Common Ground Committee, Condoleezza Rice, Diplomacy, John Kerry, notre dame international security center, Politics, Rooney Center for the Study of American Democracylast_img read more

Skip a pay Part II: Closed-end loans

first_img continue reading » As credit unions continue to find ways to help their members through these challenging times, skip a pay remains a hot topic in NAFCU’s compliance inbox. I addressed the rules for open-end credit in a previous blog and today’s post will cover the considerations for closed-end consumer credit.Unlike open-end credit, Regulation Z does not specifically address skip a pay for closed-end loans. Section 1026.20provides rules for refinances but the original obligation is not generally paid off and replaced in a skip a pay program, so the disclosure requirements for refinancings will likely not apply. The rule explains that the requirements for modifications are governed by state law. Credit unions interested in offering skip a pay options for closed-end loans may want to review any applicable state laws and the loan agreement before proceeding.Skip a pay for closed-end loans can be done a few different ways and it will generally be up to the credit union and its member to determine the best course of action. One way could be to advance the maturity of the loan each time a payment is skipped. Another way could be to add a balloon payment at the end of the loan. However the credit union decides to proceed, it may want to ensure the terms of the skip and any new repayment terms are clearly disclosed to the member in the skip a pay agreement. ShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblrlast_img read more

Governor Wolf Announces $2.4 million in Business-Education Partnership Program Grants

first_imgGovernor Wolf Announces $2.4 million in Business-Education Partnership Program Grants Press Release,  Results Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf, in conjunction with the Department of Labor & Industry (L&I), today announced 19 recipients of Business-Education Partnership (BEP) Program grants totaling $2.4 million.“This funding supports the ‘Educator in the Workplace’ initiative which connects classroom learning with relevant business practices,” Governor Wolf said. “Partnering teachers with business leaders to integrate subject material with relevant work standards will help better prepare students for 21st century careers.”In November 2016, the Pennsylvania Workforce Development Board recommended a portion of the Workforce Investment and Opportunity Act discretionary monies from fiscal year 2015-16 be used to fund the Business-Education Partnerships program. These partnerships connect local businesses with school districts to promote job opportunities and career pathways to increase awareness of in-demand technical careers.The Business-Education Partnerships connect schools, employers and students to provide career-related experiences and exposure opportunities through soft-skills development, internships, workplace shadowing, and career mentoring, all with the goal of engaging more students in the need for technical skills required by employers.A total of $2.4 million WIOA state set-aside dollars were available for the grants and each of the 22 local Workforce Development Boards (LWDBs) were encouraged to apply.“Labor & Industry is proud to administer this funding to encourage students interested in exploring career and technical education opportunities,” said L&I Secretary Kathy Manderino. “Providing Pennsylvania’s young people with a solid first work experience puts them squarely on the path to future success.”For a full list of winners and grant amounts, www.dli.pa.gov/Businesses. April 05, 2017center_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitterlast_img read more

Spoils shared in thriller between Tipp and Cats

first_imgThere may be a case for saying that the home side could have won, particularly if the opportunities missed by John ‘Bubbles’ O’Dwyer are taken into account.However, there’s no denying that Kilkenny looked like something approaching their impressive best.TJ Reid – who bagged 3-5 – and Richie Hogan were probably the Cats’ most impressive performers in Thurles. Michael Ryan’s side registered 2-17 to the Cats’ 3-14 in the Division 1A encounter.The Premier’s goals were scored by John McGrath and Niall O’Meara.However, the key score of the evening –  a 70th minute point which levelled matters for the final time – came from Tipp substitute Steven O’Brien.last_img

Top 10 Premier League transfers 2017-18

first_img0Shares0000Belgium striker Romelu Lukaku joined Manchester United from Everton in one of the highest-profile transfers of the summer © AFP / Nikolay DOYCHINOVLONDON, United Kingdom, Aug 9 – Ahead of Arsenal’s home game with Leicester City in the curtain-raiser to the new Premier League season on Friday, AFP Sport selects the 10 biggest transfers of the close season:Romelu Lukaku – Everton to Manchester United; £75 million ($97.5 million, 83 million euros) rising to £90 million*After four increasingly prolific seasons at Everton, Belgium striker Lukaku has been given another shot at the big time with Manchester United.Lukaku, 24, has been brought in to replace Zlatan Ibrahimovic and will hope to do a better job of impressing manager Jose Mourinho than he managed during their time together at Chelsea.Alvaro Morata– Real Madrid (ESP) to Chelsea; £58 million*Chelsea have signed Spain forward Alvaro Morata © AFP/File / FRANCK FIFEWith Diego Costa having been very publicly frozen out by manager Antonio Conte, Chelsea broke their transfer record to sign 24-year-old Spain striker Morata.He made an inauspicious start to his Chelsea career by squandering his spot-kick in a Community Shield penalty shootout loss to Arsenal.Benjamin Mendy– Monaco (FRA) to Manchester City; £52 million*France defender Benjamin Mendy is a high-profile signing for Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City © AFP/File / FRANCK FIFESaddled with an ageing group of full-backs, Pep Guardiola found it difficult to play the kind of thrusting football he loves in his maiden campaign as Manchester City manager.He has taken remedial action during the close season, most notably forking out £52 million to make France left-back Mendy the game’s most expensive defender.Alexandre Lacazette– Lyon (FRA) to Arsenal; £46.5 million rising to £52.6 million*France striker Lacazette had been poised to join Atletico Madrid, only for the Court of Arbitration for Sport to uphold a transfer ban against the Spanish club.Arsenal stepped in, breaking their transfer record to sign the 26-year-old, who was the top-scoring Frenchman in Ligue 1 in each of the last three seasons.Kyle Walker– Tottenham Hotspur to Manchester City; £45 million rising to £50 million*The second of Manchester City’s three new full-backs (the other being Brazilian Danilo), Walker arrived from Spurs after Dani Alves opted to join Paris Saint-Germain over rejoining forces with Guardiola.Walker’s flying raids down the right flank for Tottenham have turned him into England’s first-choice number two.Bernardo Silva– Monaco (FRA) to Manchester City; £43 million*Portuguese playmaker Silva pitched up at City after his 11 goals and 12 assists inspired Monaco to Ligue 1 glory and a place in the Champions League semi-finals.The 22-year-old is expected to line up on the right flank for City, as he did at Monaco, but is likely to have been earmarked as the long-term successor to his namesake David Silva.Tiemoue Bakayoko– Monaco (FRA) to Chelsea; £40 million*The third player to have left Monaco for England, France midfielder Bakayoko will make Chelsea’s midfield an even more intimidating prospect.Tall and muscular, the former Rennes player will provide a redoubtable physical presence alongside the buzzing N’Golo Kante.Nemanja Matic– Chelsea to Manchester United; £40 million*Deemed surplus to requirements at Chelsea following Bakayoko’s arrival, Matic moved to United to link up with Mourinho, who previously brought him back to Chelsea from Benfica in 2014.A stylish but steely holding midfielder, the 28-year-old Serbia international will provide a counterweight for the forward runs of last year’s star signing, Paul Pogba.Ederson– Benfica (POR) to Manchester City; £35 million*The goalkeeping situation gave Guardiola constant problems during his first season at the Etihad Stadium, with Claudio Bravo proving an inadequate replacement for Joe Hart, who was loaned out to Torino.Guardiola moved to remedy the problem by signing 23-year-old Brazilian Ederson, who became the world’s second most expensive goalkeeper after Gianluigi Buffon.Mohamed Salah– Roma (ITA) to Liverpool; £34 million*A bright light in a gloomy transfer window for Liverpool.Egyptian winger Salah did not get a look-in during his previous spell with Chelsea, but he excelled in Serie A with Fiorentina and Roma, scoring 35 goals in 81 games.* denotes fee as reported by British media0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more