Amnesty International again calls on Haiti to bring former dictator to justice

first_img Tweet 17 Views   one comment Share Share Jean Claude Duvalier. Photo credit: repeatingislands.comLONDON, England — On Monday, on the first anniversary of the return to Haiti of former dictator Jean-Claude Duvalier, Amnesty International reiterated its call for the case to be seriously investigated and to bring to justice in a fair trial meeting international standards those responsible for the past human rights violations. Days after his return last year on 16 January, several victims of human rights violations during Jean-Claude Duvalier’s government (1971-1986) filled complaints against the former dictator and an investigation was opened by the Haitian judicial authorities. Amnesty International supported the process by providing to the Haitian authorities hundreds of documents from the archives of the organisation, which document the serious human rights violations that happened in Haiti during Duvalier’s government and which amount to crimes against humanity. Based on those documents, a report was issued by Amnesty International in September 2011 calling for the end of the impunity for the crimes committed by Jean-Claude Duvalier: “You cannot kill the truth: The case against Jean-Claude Duvalier.” “One year on, the victims of the former dictator are still waiting for justice more than 25 years after the events. The Haitian authorities are failing to bring Jean-Claude Duvalier to justice and to end the impunity,” Amnesty International said.Caribbean News Nowcenter_img Share NewsRegional Amnesty International again calls on Haiti to bring former dictator to justice by: – January 17, 2012 Sharing is caring!last_img read more

‘Mr Dakar’ wins stage 4 as Sainz keeps the lead in Saudi

first_img Overall leader Carlos Sainz, who pulled out a stunning drive to win on Tuesday, finished third more than seven minutes behind Peterhansel. The Spaniard retains the overall lead and is 3:03 ahead of Al-Attiyah and 11:42 in front of Peterhansel. “Leading the charge was hard and Carlos lost some time, but he did an amazing job because it didn’t take him long to get back on track,” said Peterhansel. Former Formula One world champion Fernando Alonso couldn’t reproduce his great drive on stage three, finishing 26 minutes behind Peterhansel who gave a ringing endorsement of the new Saudi setting for the race. Read Also: Nadal insists Federer Slam record not on his mind “This new Dakar is brilliant,” said the Frenchman. “It has all the ingredients – superb landscapes, tricky navigation and enough difficulties to make a selection. “The organisers have been perfect so far.” Chilean Jose Ignacio Cornejo Florimo won the bikes category and is third in the overall standings, 8:31 behind his American Honda teammate Ricky Brabec. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Frenchman Stephane Peterhansel, otherwise known as Mr Dakar for his 13 victories in the marathon rally, clocked his first stage win of the 2020 race during Wednesday’s 672 kilometre charge from Neom to Al Ula. Peterhansel and his Portuguese navigator Paulo Fiuza threw their Mini across the rocks and sand that made up the greater part of the 453k special which also ran close to the historic Nabatean temples, to finish stage four in 4hr 14min 34sec. Stephane Peterhansel and Paulo Fiuza won stage four of the Dakar Rally and are third overall At one point they made a wrong turn which cut away some of their lead but they still came home 2min 26sec ahead of defending champion Nasser Al-Attiyah in his Toyota. It was a defiant response from the Qatari who began the day with a three-minute penalty for not letting a rival through on stage three. “It feels good after all that trouble in the first few days, even though we had a flat tyre and got lost once,” said Peterhansel. “It wasn’t a flawless special, but it feels great to take the win. “There were more stones than expected and the final 60 kilometres were really difficult.”center_img Promoted ContentBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeEver Thought Of Sleeping Next To Celebs? This Guy Will Show YouWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?This Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s Hysterical10 Hyper-Realistic 3D Street Art By OdeithDisney Princesses Reimagined As “GoT” Characters9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooInsane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street Art7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better7 Facts About Black Holes That Will Blow Your MindWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Birds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Themlast_img read more

New drive to fight polio in Africa

first_imgMore than 85 million children under the age of five in West and Central Africa will receive polio vaccinations. (Image: www.academic.sun.ac.za)A massive campaign to eradicate a year-long polio epidemic in West and Central Africa kicked off on 6 March, according to global health bodies.The organisations, joining forces as the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI), are hoping to immunise more than 85-million children under the age of five in 19 West and Central African countries. GPEI includes governments, the World Health Organisation (WHO), Rotary International, the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention and Unicef.The campaign kicked off in Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Senegal and Sierra Leone – countries that have experienced polio outbreaks in the last six months – as well as in Nigeria, Ghana, Benin, Central African Republic, Gambia, Cape Verde and Guinea Bissau.Vaccinations in Niger, Togo and Cote d’Ivoire will be done at a later date due to impending elections in those states.The scope of the new campaign is significant because previous attempts in 2009 failed to reach enough children, and so the outbreak persisted.Over 400 000 volunteers and health workers from different organisations have been called on to administer two drops of the oral polio vaccine (OPV) to each child in the 19 countries on 6 March. The “dedicated army” will work for about 12 hours flat, going to every household on either foot, bicycle, car, boat or motorcycle.“With better coverage that leaves no child unvaccinated, these campaigns can succeed in making West and Central Africa polio-free,” Unicef regional director Dr Gianfranco Rotigliano said in a statement released on 4 March.“Hundreds of volunteers from our Red Cross and Red Crescent National Societies will ensure that polio drops reach every last child,” said Anders Naucler, health coordinator for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies in West and Central Africa. “That is our challenge and that will be the measure of our success.”Building immunityVaccinations will be repeated in the 19 countries on 24 April, but children in Burkina Faso, Guinea, Liberia, Mauritania, Senegal and Sierra Leone – where the recent outbreaks have occurred – will receive an additional dose on 26 March as part of a new Short Interval Additional Dose strategy “that has proven successful in rapidly building population immunity where needed”, according to Unicef.The new campaign is an aspect of an ongoing initiative to fight the epidemic that broke out in Nigeria in 2008. It then spread to its neighbouring countries, which were previously polio-free, and to Central Africa, said GPEI.After battling to contain the spread, health organisations, working with health ministries in the affected countries, introduced new approaches which include a scheme to monitor how many children have been reached, better training for vaccinators and appropriate use of experienced staff.Dr Luis Gomes Sambo, WHO regional director for Africa, said the campaign shows Africa’s determination to be free of polio. “From the top leadership to local district administrators in every country we are each accountable to the African child. [We have] to vaccinate every child and achieve high coverage.”Funding from RotaryRotary International, which boasts about 1.2-million volunteers worldwide, has donated US$30-million (R223-million) to fund the campaign.“We are proud to have provided the funding necessary for the March rounds and we call on others to play their part in making Africa polio-free by providing funding necessary for more high-coverage campaigns,” said Ambroise Tshimbalanga-Kasongo, who chairs the organisation’s Africa Regional PolioPlus Committee.last_img read more

Ohio Crop Progress — September 10, 2018

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Note: USDA NASS delayed the release of this report until noon on Tuesday, September 11th.Wet Conditions PrevailConditions were very dry at the beginning of the week but ample rains were received by week’s end, according to Cheryl Turner, State Statistician, USDA, NASS, Ohio Field Office. There were 4.4 days suitable for fieldwork in Ohio during the week ending September 9. Soybeans continued to drop leaves and remained in good to excellent condition. Pastures and hay received some much needed rain. Fields were growing and greening from the new moisture. Harvest was delayed in some areas due to continued rainfall. Corn for silage harvest made headway despite widespread rains. There were little opportunities for haymaking last week. Some areas subsequently had concerns of flooding. Rain also delayed livestock and manure management activities.Click here to see the full reportlast_img read more

FTC To Silicon Valley: Lying About User Privacy Will Get You A Big … Wrist Slap

first_imgThe Federal Trade Commission today effectively told technology companies: Go ahead and lie to consumers about your privacy protections, because even if you get caught, the most you’ll have to do is apologize. (If that.)Snapchat, the “ephemeral” messaging service, agreed to settle FTC charges over claims that alleged it violated user privacy and deceived its customers. The company claimed that messages disappear entirely once viewed by the recipient, which they don’t, and collected user data such as location and address books without notice or consent.The FTC charges followed a Snapchat security breach that leaked 4.6 million Snapchat usernames and phone numbers. According to the FTC, Snapchat made multiple representations to consumers that turned out to be utterly false. It also failed to properly safeguard its “Find Friends” feature—the one that led to the breach.“If a company markets privacy and security as key selling points in pitching its service to consumers, it is critical that it keep those promises,” FTC Chairwoman Edith Ramirez said in a statement. “Any company that makes misrepresentations to consumers about its privacy and security practices risks FTC action.”And The Punishment Is … Nothing Much Sounds pretty bad, right? But the price Snapchat has to pay for all this is, well, basically nothing. The FTC settlement forbids Snapchat from lying to consumers about the privacy and security of the application, and requires the company to implement a privacy program that will be independently monitored for the next two decades. (Assuming Snapchat lasts anywhere near that long, of course.)As it turns out, the FTC couldn’t have done much more at this point. In cases of this sort, the FTC has to give businesses one free pass where they don’t have to pay a fine, but subjects them to further monitoring. If they violate their consent decree, they can then face fines. That’s a problem in itself, but that’s the system.Because this is Snapchat’s first offense, the startup which has raised $123 million to date, is getting off with a warning. The startup responded to the settlement with a “whoopsie” and a vague promise to be “more precise” in how it communicates with the Snapchat community. Even as apologies go, that leaves something to be desired.If the messaging startup violates users’ privacy again, it could end up like Google. In 2012, Google agreed to pay $22.5 million to settle with the FTC after it tracked Safari users who visited sites within Google’s advertising network, even though Google had told those users they would automatically be opted out of such tracking.While $22.5 million is a drop in the bucket for Google, a multi-million dollar fine might have crimped the startup’s bid to become a mobile messaging giant.Any company should be held accountable for their actions, whether a small startup or an industry giant like Google. Facebook, a company notorious for confusing privacy policies, settled its own $20 million lawsuit last year after a court determined its shady “Sponsored Stories” advertisements violated users’ privacy.The fact is, social media companies are way too cavalier about vacuuming up their users’ data and offering too little in return. Now both small companies and tech giants alike can look to the Snapchat ruling for support in future cases—they got off easy the first time, now we can, too.Update 2:00 PM:An earlier version of this article didn’t acknowledge that the FTC can’t levy fines for first offensive in deceptive practices. Thanks to Justin Brookman for pointing that out. Image courtesy of TechCrunch on Flickr A Comprehensive Guide to a Content Audit selena larson Related Posts Tags:#FTC#privacy#security#Snapchat#social media center_img The Dos and Don’ts of Brand Awareness Videos Guide to Performing Bulk Email Verification Facebook is Becoming Less Personal and More Pro…last_img read more

Ind vs WI: Chanderpaul frustrates India with a defiant century

first_imgShivnarine Chanderpaul struck a defiant century to frustrate India’s victory march as West Indies reached 294 for eight at lunch on the fifth day of the third and final cricket Test here on Sunday.The veteran left-hander was batting on 105 at lunch, his 23rd Test century and sixth against India, and kept glued to one end as West Indies stretched their overall lead to 151 runs at the break.India, who have already taken an unbeatable 1-0 lead in the three-match series, will have to remove the two batsmen quickly at the post-lunch session if they are to win 2-0 for the first time in the West Indies.Chanderpaul reached his century by flicking Ishant Sharma for two and his milestone arrived in 356 minutes off 255 balls, inclusive of five fours.The Guyanese batsman frustrated the Indians with his 38-run ninth wicket stand with Fidel Edwards (16 batting) as the pair batted for nearly two hours and 22 overs together.West Indies, resuming at 224 for six, lost the wickets of overnight batsman Darren Sammy (17) and Ravi Rampaul (1) and both the dismissals generated heat among a seizable crowd at Windsor Park, the newest Test venue of the Caribbean.Sammy was given out caught at forward short leg off Harbhajan Singh when the ball had clearly gone off the pads.The West Indian skipper had looked good to play his first substantial innings of the series and put on 33 runs with Chanderpaul when umpire Richard Kettleborough intervened.- With PTI inputslast_img read more

Higher Charter Rate for Dianas Capesize Bulker

first_imgzoomIllustration. Image Courtesy: Pxhere under CC0 Creative Commons license Greek dry bulk shipping company Diana Shipping has secured more work for one of its Capesize dry bulk vessels, the m/v Semirio.The company inked a time charter contract with Hong Kong-based Pacific Bulk Cape Company for the 174,261 dwt ship.As informed, the gross charter rate is USD 20,050 per day for a period of minimum ten to about twelve months. This is a considerably higher rate given that the 2007-built ship is currently chartered to Koch Shipping at USD 14,150 per day.The new charter is expected to commence on August 30, 2018.According to Diana, the employment is anticipated to generate approximately USD 6.02 million of gross revenue for the minimum scheduled period of the time charter.Diana Shipping’s fleet currently comprises 50 dry bulk vessels. As of today, the combined carrying capacity of the company’s fleet is approximately 5.8 million dwt with a weighted average age of 9 years.last_img read more

Supreme Court says case against opticaldrive makers over pricefixing can go on

first_imgOTTAWA — The Supreme Court of Canada has given the green light to a pair of British Columbia class-action suits alleging a global price-fixing conspiracy by electronics firms.The suits, filed by Whistler, B.C., businessman Neil Godfrey, allege the companies overcharged buyers of optical disc drives and products containing them, such as computers and video-game consoles.The cases, involving more than 40 defendants, including powerhouses such as Sony, Toshiba, Samsung, Philips, Panasonic and Pioneer, were certified as class actions, decisions upheld on appeal.Godfrey is seeking compensation for all B.C. residents who purchased the products between Jan. 1, 2004, and Jan. 1, 2010.The proposed class also includes so-called umbrella purchasers — people who bought products that were not made or supplied by the companies in question — based on the theory that the conspiracy led other manufacturers to set higher prices as well.Godfrey launched the main action in September 2010, but a separate one against Pioneer did not come until August 2013, leading the company to argue it began after the expiry of a two-year limitation period.This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 20, 2019.The Canadian Presslast_img read more

Abaco man death suspected suicide say Police

first_img Related Items:#HopeTownLighthouse, #magneticmedianews Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, August 15, 2017 – Abaco – Police suspect it is a suicide and say foul play is not suspected at this time after a 41 year old man of Hope Town, Abaco was found at the #HopeTownLighthouse on Saturday.    Police were called to the scene around 10am and found the body unresponsive.The man was taken to the Marsh Harbour Clinic where he was pronounced dead by a doctor.    There will be an autopsy to say for sure, how the man died.last_img