Calls on Fáilte Ireland to level out playing field for Donegal

first_img DL Debate – 24/05/21 Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows Facebook Twitter AudioHomepage BannerNews Google+ Twitter Facebook Pinterest Google+ Calls on Fáilte Ireland to level out playing field for Donegalcenter_img News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th By News Highland – November 13, 2018 Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 WhatsApp WhatsApp Previous articleBrexit negotiations “now in the endgame” – MayNext articlePublic meeting to discuss asylum seekers’ arrival in Moville News Highland Pinterest A Donegal County Councillor says it’s imperative that all relevant bodies in Donegal work towards increasing tourism numbers for next year.It comes as Fáilte Ireland is forecasting tourism growth of as much as 5 per cent in 2019, despite concerns around Brexit.The tourism development authority unveiled its plans for 2019 – including a greater focus on business tourism and the promotion of short breaks in the off-peak season.Cllr. Martin McDermott says the overall plan seems to have more of a focus on southern parts of the country, and more funding must be made available to the county to level out the playing field:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/mafghgfhgfhgfrtin.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.last_img read more

Indonesian Red Cross sends COVID-19 mitigation supplies to Timor Leste

first_imgRead also: Indonesia to carry out large-scale trials of blood plasma therapy for COVID-19 patientsIn total, the supplies weighed around 4 tons.“Although the PMI is actually experiencing a similar challenge, namely a supply shortage for COVID-19 countermeasures, it is still committed to offering help,” Sahat Sitorus, Indonesian Ambassador to Timor Leste, said in the statement.He expressed his hope for the two groups to further strengthen their ties in the future, then thanked them as well as on-duty doctors and nurses for their hard work in containing the outbreak in Timor Leste. The country has reported zero COVID-19 cases since May 15.The country has recorded 24 COVID-19 patients in total, all of whom have recovered.Topics : The Indonesian Red Cross (PMI) has sent the Timor Leste Red Cross (CVTL) medical supplies for COVID-19 mitigation measures as part of ongoing efforts to strengthen the spirit of collaboration between the two cross-border institutions.The aid packages arrived in Timor Leste on Wednesday, according to a statement from the Indonesian Embassy in Dili.They comprise personal protective equipment (PPE) for COVID-19 handling, including 500 masks, 500 protection suits, 500 glasses, 500 face shields, 10,000 packages of disinfectant, 10 sprayers and 10 thermometers to be used by volunteers and medical workers in 13 districts in Timor Leste.last_img read more

Injured Serena Williams withdraws from second consecutive tournament

first_imgSerena Williams has withdrawn from the Miami Open due to an injury to her left knee, tournament organizers confirmed.Williams came through her opening match against Rebecca Peterson in three sets, but she will no longer take to the court to face Wang Qiang on Sunday. Serena Williams shakes off Rebecca Peterson in Miami opener It is the second consecutive tournament Williams has been forced to pull out of. At the Indian Wells Open earlier this month, she retired during her match with Garbine Muguruza due to a viral illness.”I am disappointed to withdraw from the Miami Open due to a left knee injury,” Williams said in a statement. Related News DRAW ALERTDue to a left knee injury, @serenawilliams has withdrawn. No. 18 seed Qiang Wang of China will advance to the fourth round.We wish Serena a speedy recovery and hope to see her back in Miami next year.#MiamiOpen pic.twitter.com/tiJG5XWc4Y— Miami Open (@MiamiOpen) March 23, 2019″It was an amazing experience to play at the Hard Rock Stadium this year and [I] would like to thank the Miami Open for putting on an amazing event.center_img Illness forces Serena Williams to retire against Garbine Muguruza “I hope to be back next year to play at this one-of-a-kind tournament in front of the incredible fans here in Miami.”Williams’ withdrawal means she has still completed only one event so far in 2019 — the Australian Open where she was beaten by Karolina Pliskova in the quarterfinals.last_img read more

WH Official: Trump’s Criticism of Black Congressman is Not Racist

first_imgMulvaney added that Trump would criticize any lawmaker, no matter the person’s race, if he felt the person spoke unfairly about his policies.According to Mulvaney, “It has absolutely zero to do with race. This is what the president does. He fights, and he’s not wrong to do so.”Meanwhile, Cummings responded:Mr. President, I go home to my district daily. Each morning, I wake up, and I go and fight for my neighbors.It is my constitutional duty to conduct oversight of the Executive Branch. But, it is my moral duty to fight for my constituents.— Elijah E. Cummings (@RepCummings) July 27, 2019 A top White House aide turned to the Sunday TV talk show circuit to defend President Trump’s tweets about a black Democratic congressman and his Baltimore district as a response that was justified, based on the lawmaker’s recent criticism of administration border policies.Acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney stated on “Fox News Sunday” that Trump’s comments were not racist, but instead a reaction to what the President perceives to be inaccurate statements made by Representative Elijah Cummings regarding conditions in which children are allegedly being held in detention at the U.S.-Mexico border.At a hearing last week, Cummings accused a top official in the Trump Administration of wrongly calling reports of filthy, overcrowded border facilities “unsubstantiated.”In response, Mulvaney says, “When the president hears lies like that, he’s going to fight back.”President Trump also responded over the weekend, tweeting: Cummings serves as the chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee.Mulvaney, a former Republican congressman from South Carolina, says that Trump was “right to raise” the challenges that Cummings’ district faces at the same time that Cummings and other Democrats are “chasing down” the Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation and pursuing “this bizarre impeachment crusade.”The chief of staff also told CBS’ “Face the Nation” that he can understand why some people view the President’s comments as racist, “but that doesn’t mean that it is racist. The president is pushing back against what he sees is wrong,” he added. “It’s how he’s done it in the past and he’ll continue to do it in the future.”last_img read more

Lofa Road Impassable

first_imgTorrential rains have drastically degraded the Lofa County highway leaving dozens of trucks and other vehicles stranded for one week, travellers have told the Daily Observer.According to reports, several trucks and smaller vehicles are in deep mud about 15 to 25 feet in some areas on the Lofa/Gbarnga highway.“We spent about five days traveling from Gbarnga City in Bong County to Voinjama City in Lofa due to the bad road,” said truck driver John Baysahwala.As a result, perishable farm items such as bitter balls, pepper, egg plants, peanuts, and greens intended for Monrovia markets continue to rot.Some of the affected farmers, who spoke to the Daily Observer via mobile phone, described the situation as discouraging because they are losing their markets.Peanut farmer Sumo Yallah of Voinjama District said 55 bags that he harvested to take to Monrovia rotted while waiting to be transported.“I now have money problems and don’t know what I will do to get money to continue farming,” Yallah said.Another farmer, Domawah Kemah, said out of 24 bags of the vegetables he intended sending to Monrovia, only 10 bags reached because the rest spoiled as a result of the road condition.With such huge loses, the farmers believe that next year’s production and harvest will certainly drop.In his reaction to the bad Lofa road condition, pineapple farmer Yallah M. Ballah said the only alternative left to any Liberian government is to begin paving the road.Ballah added that if such initiative had been accepted by the past and present governments, the pavement of the road would have begun ever since in Mendikormah in Foya Statutory District.Labour and other financial investments in the production of the farm produce are on many occasions left in the hands of commercial drivers. Business people and aid agency vehicles that continue to ply on the deplorable road are being faced with expensive mechanical repairs.In separate interviews with truck and small vehicle commercial drivers in Monrovia recently, they called on the Liberian Government to place priority on the pavement of the Lofa highway.“Let the current administration leave some works done on our Lofa highway as a mark of a genuine legacy for our poor farmers,” one of the drivers recommended.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Mum working at nursing home claimed €26K in illegal benefits

first_imgCOURTS: A woman claimed €26,000 in social welfare benefits while working full-time at a nursing home. Michelle Fulton, of The Bungalow, Carnone, Raphoe was charged with social welfare benefit fraud on September 1st, 2011.Inspector Harrison, from the Department of Social Protection told the court, “Mrs Fulton was awarded a one parent family payment on the June 12th, 2008. “However, her file was referred to me, after I received a letter which indicated that she was had completed a training course with a nursing home, and was now working with them.“As I continued my investigations, I discovered she had been employed with them since 2011, but she hadn’t informed the department.“She completed a training course successfully, and was initially employed on a part-time basis, before taking on a full-time position.”The social welfare investigations unit then visited the accountancy firm which looked after the nursing home and obtained the accused woman’s P60. It was then assessed that €25,592.20 had been given to her in overpayments.The investigator added “I requested her to meet me on two occasions in September and October, but both times she failed to appear, and didn’t contact me to let me know she would not be in attendance.“She was made aware of the overpayments that had been made to her, and so far has paid back €755.50, which leaves the balance at 25,836.60.“She was still receiving social welfare payments up until November last year, but was getting regularly deducted, and has also made four cash payments.”Solicitor for the defendant Donough Cleary said his client regretted her actions, and stressed that she had a difficult family situation. Mr Cleary told the court, “She initially began a training course with this company, but this wasn’t paid.“Her training was successful, and then she started to get a few hours here and there, that gradually increased to a day or two a week, before it became a full-time role.“She’s had a difficult family situation that the court would be aware of, but she accepts it was wrong and regrets it.“She has since obtained a full-time job in a different establishment, and is paying €50 a month towards the repayments she owes the state. “She has a mortgage to pay, and her maintenance has been reduced due to her employment.”Inspector Harrison said there is no consistent pattern to her repayments, and said the department would be in contact with the defendant in due course.Judge Paul Kelly adjourned the case until January 3rd, to see if a repayment plan can be set-up in the meantime, and then assess the situation further at that point.Mum working at nursing home claimed €26K in illegal benefits was last modified: October 5th, 2016 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Motorists warned over oil spill in south Donegal

first_imgMotorists in south Donegal are being advised of a bad oil spill that occurred this evening. Gardai in Ballyshannon say the spill happened between Ardara and Killybegs.The wet conditions has resulted in the spill spreading and drivers are advised to exercise caution. Motorists warned over oil spill in south Donegal was last modified: June 19th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

ESB working to restore power to almost 2,000 homes in West Donegal

first_imgThe ESB is working to restore power to almost 2,000 homes in West Donegal this evening.The power went down just before 7pm in the Derrybeg area.A spokesman said they are working t restore the power as quickly as possible. ESB working to restore power to almost 2,000 homes in West Donegal was last modified: October 7th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img

World Cup 2019: Unperturbed by chatter, Dinesh Karthik ready to deliver for India

first_imgFifteen years after making his international debut and being in and out of the Indian team, Dinesh Karthik remains a topic of discussion and therefore, “relevant”, in his own words.After the World Cup squad was announced on April 15, the 33-year-old was the subject of an intense debate with many even questioning his selection over the highly-talented Rishabh Pant.Chief selector MSK Prasad tried to settled the debate by saying that reserve keeper Karthik was picked for his better skills behind the stumps but even that did not cut it with Pant’s supporters which included the likes of Ricky Ponting.”I would not still be playing if it was not for the blessings of my friends and family. Good or bad, if people still talk about you it means that you have managed to stay relevant. It is extremely satisfying that I have managed to stay relevant all these years and still trying hard to be part of the team,” Karthik told PTI before leaving for England.He made his debut even before Dhoni who burst on to the scene in December 2004 and the rest, as they say, is history. If it was not for Dhoni, the Chennai-based cricketer could have played a lot more than 26 Tests and 91 ODIs, but he has never had any qualms in accepting that he was replaced by a special player.Since he could not replace Dhoni behind the stumps, he had to add another dimension to his game as a specialist batsman to keep his spot in the team since the Champions Trophy in 2017. And he did that by emerging as the finisher the management was looking for, with his most memorable knock coming in the Nidahas Trophy final last year when he won India the trophy with a six off the last ball.advertisementWas a bit shocked after Australia ODIs snub: KarthikHowever, there were doubts over his World Cup spot as he was dropped from the ODI series against Australia, India’s last before the World Cup.”I was a bit shocked (after not being picked for Australia series) but I had faith that you know if it is meant to be it is meant to be. In the end, I was picked for my performances over the last two years.”I have batted in various positions (over the last 24 months) and I have had decent success in those positions. But the key is not for me to look back at the last two years, the greatest tournament is going to happen and I now have the opportunity to play there.”It doesn’t matter what the word is going around. What is important to me is that I have got an opportunity and there are people who believe in me and have faith in me, I need to go out there and stand up for my country,” he said.In an up and down career, Karthik has experienced the highs and lows, whether it was being part of India’s disastrous run in the 2007 World Cup or the World T20 triumph in South Africa months later. Karthik, who was then in his early 20s, vividly remembers those contrasting campaigns.”We played two World Cups in 2007. We were very successful in the T20 format and one World Cup where things did not go as per plan. Leading up to it (ODI World Cup), we were playing some really good cricket. The format was such that we got to play three games and we had one bad game against Bangladesh and that really hurt us.”After that game it was like playing a three-match bilateral series. You had to win the next two matches and there was so much pressure. That is the thing about World Cup.”But the T2O that followed was a breath of fresh air. The format was new. With Dhoni leading the side so well, it was a great tournament to be part of.”Fast forward to 2019, and he is one of the oldest members in the squad and someone who loves spending time with the youngsters, especially K L Rahul and Hardik Pandya.”Those two names matter a lot to me. I am very close to them in this Indian team. If either of them was not there in the team I would have been very sad. At the end of the day, you do make close friends as you go along in the journey.”For his current run in the Indian team, Karthik is quick to give all the credit to friend and mentor, Abhishek Nayar.advertisement”He is the single biggest factor in me being part of this World Cup team,” he added.Also Read | World Cup 2019: Recapping some of the greatest upsets in World Cup historyAlso Read | Such losses are irreparable: Sachin Tendulkar condoles Asif Ali daughter’s demiseAlso See:last_img read more

10 months agoTottenham boss Pochettino hints he needs to sell before buying

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Tottenham boss Pochettino hints he needs to sell before buyingby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has hinted he needs to sell before buying in January.Pochettino concedes his squad is currently overloaded.He explained, “We have a full squad. “I think we have 28 in the squad. I think it’s impossible to sign players if we have no space. We don’t have enough spaces at the moment, so it makes no sense to talk about signing players.” last_img