Mold makes Vancouver house uninhabitable

first_imgCraig and Shelly Johnson bought their Andresen neighborhood home 24 years ago. To the high school sweethearts, it was the perfect place to raise their kids and enjoy their future grandkids.This summer, the Johnsons learned their dream home was poisoning them.After a decade of unexplained chronic pain, fatigue, respiratory infections and debilitating headaches, Craig, 54, and Shelly, 50, learned the attic of their home was full of various varieties of black and white mold. A Go Fund Me account has been established to collect money to purchase Craig and Shelly Johnson a new home. Donations can be made there. Donations to the Raise the Roof Foundation account also can be made at any Columbia Credit Union branch.Because of the level of toxins, their home is uninhabitable. The roof must be completely removed, and the insulation, sheetrock and wood inside replaced. Anything that isn’t glass or metal must be thrown away, including furniture, appliances, clothes, linens and even the family photos hanging on the walls. Devastated, the couple contacted their insurance company only to learn their policy — like most homeowner policies — has a mold exclusion. Nothing is covered.Three years ago, the couple filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy after draining their retirement fund and bank accounts to pay for medical tests and treatments.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *