The Church of Conquerors Tabernacle has planned a memorial service for the late Rev. Varney Garpou and his wife, Mother Williette.They were founders and General Overseers of Jesus Christ Conquerors Evangelistic Ministries, Inc., located in New Kru Town, on the Bushrod Island, Monrovia.The late Rev. Garpou, died at age 50, and his wife Mother Williette, 52, on August 21 and September 5, 2014, respectively.The memorial service is slated to be held on Saturday, March 14, at the 10:00am at the church’s edifice in New Kru Town.The church asked sympathizers and friends to be in attendance to remember, “Our fallen Generals of the Lord who have been called from labor to rest.”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
The Chairman of the West Demerara Road Safety Council is concerned about the safety of road users, since several privately owned trucks have been parking on the public roadway, thereby occupying the pedestrian and cyclists’ lanes.Peter Katanan explained that the matter has been ongoing for just about two years, and frustrated council members are contemplating what other steps can be taken to protect the road users in Orangestein, East Bank Essequibo, given that they have exhausted just about every measure.He further stated, with much concern, the number of accidents which have alreadyA few of the vehicles parked on the turn on Wednesday morningoccurred as a result of the ignorant behaviour of the truck operators, about which the association confronted them on several occasions.The Chairman claimed that Traffic ranks in ‘D’ Division even issued warnings to the drivers in their presence and in the presence of the Ministry of Public Infrastructure personnel, but this seemingly has made no difference with the operators, who are determined to park on the roadways, endangering the lives of people using the roads.“These trucks (are) even more dangerous at night, because I have passed and have not even seen reflectors on the back of these 18 wheeler trucks. They even have excavators parking here, and the area has no street lights. It is even much more of a challenge for drivers when it rains because, like I said, there are no street lights, these trucks don’t have reflectors, and they are dark, rusty coloured trucks, which makes it more difficult to notice them,” he explained.The frustrated official said that just two weeks ago someone reported to him that they almost collided with another vehicle owing to the faulty practices of the drivers. He argued, “These lanes are specifically for pedestrians and pedal cyclists. When they park like that, they have nowhere to walk or ride but in the lane of a moving vehicle, which exposes them to danger”.To make matters worse, the Chairman noted, the trucks have even been parking on the turns.
The Guyana Manufacturing and Services Association (GMSA) will be taking the ‘Marketplace Uncapped’ exhibition to Berbice as part of its role in assisting small businesses to promote their trades.Vice President of the Association, Ramsay Ali informed Guyana Times that a public relations system would have been introduced to develop the profile outlook of local enterprises and capture the attention of consumers.“We have started a PR programme to help to promote local businesses. We’re visiting the local companies and we’re developing their profile to put it out there,” he stated. Another initiative is the Marketplace Uncapped exhibition which has generated significant interest and support is locally manufactured products.According to Ali, the Albion Community Centre Ground will be the next venue on October 27, as they seek to connect some 65 exhibitors.“The expo is scheduled for Saturday, October 27, at the Albion Ground. We’re looking at around 65 exhibitors. We had three so far. November last year was one and then we had two this year, one at Providence and one at Leonora. We had almost 30 store owners in Leonora that would’ve come to see what’s in it for Guyana.”He noted that this support has led to improvement in the quality and packaging of the products as well as recognition in Guyanese households.“The response would’ve been extremely good in terms of the businesses. We’ve seen improvement in the businesses in terms of quality and packaging. What we’re trying to create at these events are that people should get to know these products and put them in their homes as well. It’s also to encourage supermarkets and store owners to visit,” Ali said.This exhibition is known to be the biggest event in recent time for the organization, owing to partnerships from the Business Ministry and Private Sector entities. As 2018 unfolds, they are hoping to continue this venture in the coming year with increased collaboration.“That will be our biggest event for the rest of the year. We’re working closely with the Ministry of Business and Private Sector to help us to support this initiative next year.” GMSA’s Marketplace Uncapped …as expo heads to Berbice
A new report from the BC Trucking Safety Council suggests BC truck drivers have questionable records behind the wheel.The report shows BC truckers are at fault in fatal crashes more often than their counterparts elsewhere in Canada.Statistics show truck drivers in this province were to blame in nearly 19 per cent of fatal crashes, compared to 10 per cent in Central Canada.- Advertisement -Trucking Association president Paul Landry notes the flip side of those numbers reveals truckers are blameless in the majority of crashes where their involved.However, he says the findings will be used to improve truck safety.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Baloney. Something’s wrong at the LAUSD, but it isn’t the students. What’s wrong is that failure is met with excuses, and the fundamental dysfunction of the school district is ignored. The failure of the gains among the youngest students to show up as they reach high school ought to be alarming, particularly since one of the district’s worst failings is its dropout rate, estimated to be as high as 50 percent. Without the kids who presumably are among the worst learners, shouldn’t high schools have higher performance marks? The fact is the district is still failing students, and we need real reform – not excuses. The API scores may not tell us much, but they do lend support to Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa’s sense of urgency about changing things at the LAUSD. Maybe his reform school board candidates won’t be the saviors of the district, but they could be a start. THE modest rise in API test scores in recent years has been used as evidence by Los Angeles school officials that, despite critics’ contentions, their efforts to improve academic achievement are paying off. Funny then, that now that Academic Performance Index scores have tanked – at least where it counts, in high school – school officials no longer hail them as an accurate measure of educational achievement. While the API scores released Tuesday show some continued gains in lower grades in the Los Angeles Unified School District, high-school scores plunged 20 points. What’s worse is that Superintendent David Brewer III places blame on the district’s black and Latino students. But the ethnic makeup of the LAUSD hasn’t suddenly shifted. So this excuse rings hollow, as do the two other excuses offered up: Results are analyzed differently, or the numbers are skewed by the opening of two new high schools.
Victor Valdes 1 Mexican side Queretaro are ready to hijack Manchester United’s bid to bring goalkeeper Victor Valdes to the Premier League.The former Barcelona shot-stopper, who is a free agent, has been training with the Red Devils since October to complete his rehabilitation from a serious knee injury.The 32-year-old was poised to complete his move to Old Trafford having solved a contract dispute with Monaco over the cancellation of his pre-contract to join the French side last summer, but Queretaro have expressed a strong interest in signing the ex-Spain international.According to Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo, representatives from the Liga MX side have travelled to England in order to talk to Valdes and his team.The club recently signed Brazil legend Ronaldinho and have the financial resources to tempt Valdes to move to Mexico.United boss Louis van Gaal handed Valdes his Barcelona first-team debut during his time at the Nou Camp and still hopes to persuade the goalkeeper to provide valuable back-up for the indispensable David de Gea.
Steven Taylor has told Newcastle owner Mike Ashley: It’s time to splash the cash.The Magpies secured their Premier League status as they beat West Ham 2-0 at St James’ Park on Sunday afternoon, and Ashley insisted prior to kick-off he would not be leaving the club, despite supporters’ anger towards him.And Taylor, who was forced to sit out the second half of the season with an Achilles injury, insists Ashley must now get his chequebook out to ensure the club doesn’t find itself in a relegation battle again next season.He told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast: “Everybody knows we need to add some top quality players. It’s great for Mike Ashley to come out before the game yesterday and say what he said, but I do believe, and I think a lot of the lads will say the same, he should invest big in the club in the summer.“A lot of people have been saying we should be in Europe and there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be. The top six, top seven is what we’ve got to be aiming for. And there’s no reason why we can’t.”Taylor admits it’s been a tough time on Tyneside in recent months, but he now hopes everyone at the club can pull together and ensure there are better times ahead.“You’re constantly getting reminded of it [the situation] every day when we come in. The media speculation all the time is negative, negative, negative.“The foreign lads who have come in this season or last season, I think they’ve understood what it’s all about. This a footballing city and, wherever you go, you’re always going to get reminded of it so when results don’t go well, yes, you can point the finger at yourself, the staff, the owner, that’s normal. If you can’t handle it, you should go and collect stamps.”
Leicester striker Jamie Vardy has revealed the first steps of a film adaptation if his rise from non-league hitman to Premier League star are in place.Many predicted the Foxes would face a relegation fight this season, yet with 13 matches remaining they are five points clear at the top flight summit.Claudio Ranieri’s men face a crunch clash with title rivals Arsenal on Sunday, with Vardy, like so many times this season, set to play a key role.Less than six years after plying his trade for Stocksbridge Park Steels, and after stops at Halifax and Fleetwood, the 29-year-old is the Premier League’s top scorer thanks to an 18-goal haul.British screenwriter Adrian Butchart wants to adapt that remarkable ascent for the big screen and went to see Vardy in action against Liverpool earlier in the month, when the England international netted both goals in a 2-0 win.And Vardy has revealed he has spoken with the filmmaker to begin talks over a potential movie of his meteoric rise.“He wanted to see a game and the way we played that day he can come every week,” Vardy told the Daily Star.“I went and had a chat with him and he said he was getting things in place to start it.”Asked if the film needs a happy ending, Vardy said with caution: “We’ll see what happens and see where they want to take it.” 1 Leicester City star Jamie Vardy
A workshop on the variation of certain wind policies in the current County Development Plan is to be discusse at a workshop at Donegal County Council next Monday.Wind turbines have been a contentious issue in the county for a number of years with many people feeling that Council is ignoring their impact on communities.In 2012 the Council zoned more than 2300 townlands as “preferred for wind farming”, in contravention to a letter from the Department warning them that their wind farm zoning policy was “not evidence based”. This zoning policy that has led to An Bord Pleanála overturning 38 of 42 turbines approved by Donegal county council during 2013, an overturn rate of over 90%.Glenties Wind Farm Information Group chairman Mr Ernan O’Donnell says the Straboy wind farm of 25 turbines on the hills overlooking Glenties town were amongst those rejected by ABP.In a lengthy report extending to over 185 pages the Inspector was very critical of the proposal and amongst the primary grounds for rejection were the high risk to many nearby houses because of possible peat slippage from two massive post construction peat dumps and the danger of massive siltation of the Owenea river system and it’s fresh water pearl mussel population.To that end GWiG presented to Council a variation on its wind policies to restrict wind farming in fresh water pearl mussel river catchment areas, and to introduce a setback distance of ten times by turbine tip height in the interests of public safety. At the reconvened meeting of the council on 9th December there was lengthy debate on the two issues but other issues of wind policy were also raised by councillors.To that end it was decided to hold this workshop and discuss all aspects of wind policy.Mr O’Donnell expressed some frustration at the procrastination of Donegal County Council on the matter particularly when one considers two significant turbine failures in the county in the past nine months neither of which yet has had a report on the incident published. He also stated;“Donegal County Council must recognise the issues raised in the Straboy An Bord Pleanala report, which clearly found Council in breach of EU Habitats Directives in advocating a wind farm in the Fresh Water Pearl Mussel catchment of the Owenea. The Regulations, of 2009, were introduced in response to a decision of the European Court of Justice against Ireland and are specifically intended to support the achievement of favourable conservation status for the Freshwater Pearl Mussel.“The six Sub Basin District Management Plans for County Donegal, which were brought into being for the protection of this species as part of the Water Framework Directive, are all identified in Co. Donegal as ‘at risk’ from wind farm development”. He welcomed the fact that the workshop will still go ahead on Monday and that the outcomes of it will finally be presented to the full Council meeting on 27 January where councillors will vote on sending the proposed changes out for the required public consultation.“Anything arising from the workshop will be bolted on to our already agreed motions for variation; that is, setback distance of 10 times maximum tip height of turbine, and the exclusion of the six Fresh Water Pearl Mussel catchment areas from wind farming. All will then be sent out to Public Consultation. That is what was agreed, as read out by the County Secretary at the December meeting” said Mr O’Donnell.COUNCIL TO HOLD LONG-AWAITED WIND ENERGY WORKSHOP was last modified: January 17th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Donegal County CouncilWind energyWorkshop
One of the youngest candidates to put himself forward for the forthcoming elections will launch his campaign tonight.James Pat McDaid launches his election campaign tonight.James Pat McDaid has been nominated by the Fianna Fail party as one of four candidates to run in the Letterkenny/Milford electoral area.Coming from a well-known family from Glenswilly, James Pat will be known to many from his GAA achievements as the outgoing captain of county champions Glenswilly. His election launch will take place in the Station House Hotel in Letterkenny at 8pm and all are invited.The election launched will be hosted by former Government Minister and local GP, Dr James McDaid.Refreshments will be served afterwards. YOUTH GETS A CHANCE AS JAMES PAT McDAID LAUNCHES HIS ELECTION CAMPAIGN was last modified: March 26th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalelection launchfianna failJames Pat McDaidletterkenny