A common understanding of the issues and implications of followup care to cancer survivors is the goal of a one-day roundtable meeting on cancer survivorship hosted by Cancer Care Nova Scotia. The June 1 discussion will include family doctors, oncologists, nurses, social workers, health administrators, patients and families, cancer-related organizations and others from across the province. “With 28,000 cancer survivors in Nova Scotia, now more than ever, we need to understand what survivors’ care and support needs are and how health providers and the community can best serve these needs,” said Theresa Marie Underhill, chief operating officer, Cancer Care Nova Scotia. “The number of survivors is growing as treatments improve and cancers are detected earlier. How do we achieve the same successful outcomes and quality cancer care in the survivorship phase of their lives? “The transition from patient to survivor and the ongoing quality of care for survivors is the focus of the roundtable. With the growing number of cancer survivors in Nova Scotia, it is critical to plan and act.” Among the most pressing survivorship issues is how best to provide follow-up care. Areas include periodic routine appointments, necessary screening to guard against recurrence and new cancers, monitoring for side effects of earlier treatments and psychosocial support. “Patients have told me that they feel at their most anxious after they have finished their treatment and not during treatment, as you might expect,” said Dr. Eva Grunfeld, director, Cancer Outcomes Research, Cancer Care Nova Scotia who is the keynote speaker for the roundtable. “While patients are undergoing treatment, they have confidence they are being monitored by a knowledgeable health professional. However, finishing treatment puts them in a grey area, without the necessary supports to help them manage their fears and answer their questions.” In addition to the keynote address, Cancer Survivorship: Issues for Cancer Care and Cancer Control, and small-group discussions, there will also be a moderated panel discussion. Participants include: Dr. Rob Rutledge, radiation oncologist; Dr. Mike MacKenzie, family physician; Steve Webster, cancer survivor; and Annette Penney, pediatric nurse co-ordinator for long-term followup care. Cancer Care Nova Scotia is a program of the Department of Health, created to reduce the burden of cancer on individuals, families and the health-care system through prevention, screening, education and research.
The man entered Japan in July 2005 and he subsequently submitted an application to be recognized as a refugee with the Nagoya Regional Immigration Bureau. After the application was rejected, the man filed an appeal. However, he received a notice on Dec. 17, 2014, informing him the appeal had also been turned down.The man had been consulting lawyers about filing another lawsuit to overturn the rejection of the refugee application as the law allows one to be filed within six months of an appeal being denied.However, immigration officials refused the man’s request to contact his lawyers and promptly deported him after the notice was issued to him. A Sri Lankan man deported from Japan has accused immigration officials of lying and denying him a chance to contest the rejection of his refugee application in court, The Asahi Shimbun reported today.The man in his 30s filed a lawsuit at Nagoya District Court on August 2. He is seeking 3.3 million yen ($32,000) in compensation from the central Government. The man’s Japanese wife also attended the news conference.“I want him to return to Japan,” said the woman in her 30s. “That is the strongest emotion I now have.” At a news conference in Japan, one of the lawyers said: “Immigration officials deported him after giving him a false explanation that he would be able to take judicial action even after he was deported.” According to his lawyers, the man was a supporter of an opposition party in his native Sri Lanka and had received threats from people connected with the ruling party that left him fearing for his life, especially after an acquaintance was shot. An official with the Justice Ministry’s immigration bureau said, “We cannot comment because we have not seen the lawsuit.” (Colombo Gazette)