TORONTO (AP):DeMar DeRozan matched his season high with 38 points and added 10 rebounds as the Toronto Raptors beat the Miami Heat 112-104 in overtime on Saturday night.Jonas Valanciunas added 20 points and 10 rebounds, while Kyle Lowry chipped in with 16 points for the Raptors, who secured the season series against the Heat for the second straight season, as well as a potential play-off tiebreaker should they finish with the same record.Joe Johnson had 28 points while Luol Deng added 20 for the Heat, which had Dwyane Wade on the sidelines with an injured thigh.Deng tied it at 97 on a three-pointer from the corner with 3.1 seconds remaining in regulation and DeRozan’s jumper before the buzzer went in and out.In overtime, the teams traded scores until five straight trips to the free throw line, four for DeRozan and one for Bismack Biyombo, allowed the Raptors to score seven unanswered points to take a 109-101 lead with 42 seconds to play.Johnson’s three-pointer closed the gap to six points, but a pair of free throws from Cory Joseph allowed Toronto to close out the game.Stephen Curry scored 15 of his 35 points in the fourth quarter and the Golden State Warriors rallied from a nine-point deficit over the final 12 minutes to beat the Phoenix Suns 123-116.Curry, who spent most of the third quarter on the bench in foul trouble, made three of his seven three-pointers in the fourth, including two as part of an 18-8 run to close out the game.The NBA’s reigning MVP capped his night with a behind-the-back pass to Shaun Livingston for a layup that helped extend the Warriors’ record home winning streak to 48 games.Golden State (59-6) also stayed one game ahead of the pace of the 1995-96 Bulls, who set an NBA record with 72 wins.Kawhi Leonard scored 26 points and the San Antonio Spurs beat the Oklahoma City Thunder 93-85 for their 41st straight home victory, the third-longest streak in NBA history.Only Golden State with their current 48 and the Chicago teams that won 44 straight in 1995-96 had longer streaks.LaMarcus Aldridge added 24 points and Tim Duncan had 11 for San Antonio. Kevin Durant had 28 points for the Thunder.Jusuf Nurkic scored all of his season-high 17 points in the second half and the Denver Nuggets rallied in the fourth quarter to beat the Washington Wizards 116-100.Gary Harris, D.J. Augustin and Darrell Arthur also scored 17 points and Will Barton finished with 14 points and 10 rebounds for Denver. The Nuggets outscored Washington 41-17 in the final 12 minutes to win their fourth straight.John Wall had 19 points and 11 assists and Otto Porter scored 21 points for the Wizards.Elsewhere, the Milwaukee Bucks topped the New Orleans Pelicans 103-92, the Atlanta Hawks downed the Memphis Grizzlies 95-83, the Detroit Pistons used a big second half to beat the Philadelphia 76ers 125-111, and the Charlotte Hornets had a 125-109 win over the Houston Rockets.
Close on the heels of the killing of Lt. Ummer Fayaz in the Kashmir Valley, a BSF assistant commandant from Jammu, who had topped the recruitment exam, has written to the government alleging that militants were threatening him and his sister. Nabeel Ahmed Wani, the topper of the All India Examination for BSF Assistant Commandant (Works) last year, said his sister, a civil engineering student in Chandigarh, had been staying in a hostel but the college authorities now want her to move elsewhere. Mr. Wani wrote to Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Gandhi on Sunday (May 14) asking her to arrange for hostel facility for Nida Rafiq. “She was worried that she would not get a place to stay as a Kashmiri, especially with my background. I didn’t want to involve the BSF in a personal matter, so I wrote to the Minister,” Mr. Wani told PTI over phone from the BSF Training Academy a Tekanpur near Gwalior.Request for armsMr. Wani said he has spoken to his seniors in the BSF requesting them to allow personnel to carry their arms when they go on leave, especially in militant-affected areas, and also to secure their travel plans home. He said he will go home for his cousin’s wedding in next two months. “People like me and my family members are always under threat from militants. After the murder of Lt Ummer Fayaz, I am scared about my family’s security. My mother lives alone in Jammu while my sister is in Chandigarh. I worry, especially now, as terrorists are targeting our families,” said Mr. Wani. He topped the exam last year around the time the Valley was on the boil following the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Burhan Wani. He had written the mail to Ms. Gandhi on May 14 and got a response the very next day. “The Minister immediately took it up with the college authorities, who have now allowed Mr. Nabeel’s sister to stay in the hostel,” a senior official of the WCD Ministry said.Disturbing trendMr. Wani said: “I am now worried for all those Kashmiris who are serving in the Army or paramilitary forces. We (Kashmiris) join the forces despite a lot of opposition and now, with this trend of killing Kashmiris serving as soldiers, a sword hangs on all of us. This is very disturbing.” As for his sister, he is now comforted she will remain safe in the security of her hostel room. “She is safe for now. Pray for her, she wants to become the first woman from Jammu and Kashmir to serve the Indian Army,” he said.
Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk is confident that Liverpool can do what is necessary to reach the last 16 of the Champions League.The Reds go into Tuesday’s final Group C fixture knowing they must beat Napoli either 1-0 or by two clear goals to be certain of advancing from the pool having previously lost all their away games to Napoli, Red Star Belgrade and Paris Saint Germain.During Monday’s pre-match press conference obtained from the club’s official website, the Dutchman said:Report: Origi cause Klopp injury concerns George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Divock Origi injury in today’s game against Newcastle is a cause for concern for Jurgen Klopp.Perhaps with one eye on Tuesday’s trip to Italy…“For sure. You want to play at the highest level. Obviously, you don’t want to be in the situation we could be in tomorrow where we could maybe get knocked out, but it is how it is and we are looking forward to it. We want to show them and show everyone in the world that we belong in the Champions League.“We should be confident as well with the situation we are in now. We are doing very well in the league and we need to show it in the Champions League as well, and hopefully, we can keep doing that after tomorrow.”
Teenage star Moise Kean is living a dream at Juventus this season by playing alongside the real Cristiano RonaldoThe 18-year-old forward came through youth ranks at Juventus and graduated to the first-team in 2016.Kean is highly-rated over in Turin and is the first player born in the 2000s to feature in a Champions League match as well as in one of Europe’s top four leagues.Now the teenager gets to continue learning his trade alongside one of the best ever in the business in the form of five-time Ballon d’Or winner Ronaldo after playing him on Play Station in his youth.“CR7? I had only seen him on the Play Station before!” Kean told RMC Sport.“Playing with him has improved me a lot, I learn a lot from him as well as from the other champions with the Bianconeri.”Although Kean’s childhood idol was former Inter and AC Milan striker Mario Balotelli.Fiorentina owner: “Ribery played better than Ronaldo!” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Fiorentina owner Rocco Commisso was left gushing over Franck Ribery’s performance against Juventus, which he rates above that of even Cristiano Ronaldo’s.“He was my idol, but only for how he played,” Kean said on Balotelli.“He’s a good boy, he gives me lots of advice because he does not want me to live what he’s been through.”Due to only 14 minutes of action this season at Juventus, Kean had been linked with a January loan move.“Will I move in January? I do not know what will happen,” admitted Kean.“I do not know and I cannot say what will happen yet.“The club will decide. They will make their evaluations and we will see.”Kean made his Italy debut in November in a friendly against the United States.
Dan Cohen AUTHOR During a rare visit to the Pentagon, President Obama on Monday reiterated his threat to veto the fiscal 2016 defense authorization bill because it relies on a budget framework that would shortchange the nation’s future by restraining spending on non-military aspects of national security such as education and research.“We’re not going to eat our seed corn,” Obama said, reported CQ.The military has the best troops in the world in part because “we’ve got a strong economy and we’ve got a well-educated population and we’ve got an incredible research operation and universities,” the president said. “We shortchange those, we’re going to be less secure,” he said.The defense authorization bill adopts the GOP budget framework, which adds $38 billion to DOD’s war account to sidestep the statutory spending caps. The GOP budget, however, forces non-defense spending to stick to the caps. “Part of our national security is making sure that we have a strong economy and that we continue to make investments in things we need like education and research,” Obama said.Separately, staff for the House and Senate Armed Services committees are continuing to work out differences in the two versions of the authorization bill. Committee leaders soon will tackle major areas of disagreement, including acquisition reform. Defense budget expert Mackenzie Eaglen told the Hill that acquisition reform is the “biggest sticking point” between the two bills. One key difference is language in the Senate version shifting more decision-making authority from the defense secretary to the military services, a change opposed by the administration that could draw a veto from the president, according to Eaglen, resident fellow at the American Enterprise Institute.“This is the only provision that could sway a decision by the president to veto it if he were not planning to do so already. If it stays, it is a near certainty it will garner a veto,” she said.
Losliya in Bigg Boss Tamil 3.PR HandoutLosliya Mariyanesan has become the sweetheart of youths in Tamil Nadu after entering the Bigg Boss Tamil 3 house. With her charming smile and humble behaviour, the Sri Lankan TV anchor has impressed the audience.Indeed, in a matter of weeks, Losliya has got an army of fans and dedicated fan pages on social media sites. Every single aspect of her life has drawn the attention of the viewers, but a strange rumour, which is doing rounds online from the last few days, about her marriage has come as a big shock to the fans.Speculations claim that Losliya had hidden the truth and entered the Tamil reality show. An apparent wedding snap gave credence to the rumours and it was said that her relationship ended with a divorce.However, her friends have now cleared the rumours about Losliya’s wedding. Speaking to a website, her friends have lambasted the speculations. “We have been doing since her childhood and we are not aware of her wedding,” a friend of her told the website while adding that they laughed it off upon hearing it.They claim that she has not changed a bit in the show and not faking her character to win the hearts of the audience in Bigg Boss Tamil. According to them, she is a jovial person and a clean-person at heart.Losliya Mariyanesan is a Tamilian from Sri Lanka. She is a TV anchor by profession.
Recently the capital was gripped by, 3 Sakina Manzil, showcased as a part of Desires Unlimited’s first vintage theatre festival – Epoch.Power-packed performances by Puneet Sikka and Tarun Singhal who essayed the role of Shashi and Comrade Shashi left the audience spellbound. The 100-minute play revolves the love story of these two characters set in the back drop of the Bombay dock explosion. Each of them alternately remembers the time they spent together and the fateful day – 14 April 1944- that drew them apart and tore the city they lived in. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’The play – 3, Sakina Manzil – has been written by Ramu Ramanathan, and was directed by Deepak Dhamija is set in pre-independence juxtaposed with the world being ravaged by World War II, and gradual establishment of the Hindi film industry. There are references to how Dev Anand had come as a fresher in the industry and by the end of the play , Comrade Shashi tells the audience how he had emerged as a successful hero. Amidst all this turmoil begins a beautiful love story between the protagonists. As Comrade Shashi walks in for a job at 3 Sakina Manzil, he immediately falls in love with his namesake. It is love-at-first-sight for her as well. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixTarun’s performance as Comrade Shashi is etched well. He is able to bring about the transition in the character beautifully as the older Comrade Shashi reminisces his interaction as a young man with his love – Shashi (also his employers daughter). His co-actor Puneet too justifies her role as she transforms from the young Shashi expressing her love moving to the older one as she recalls the tragedy of the explosion and losing her love.The plot is subtly designed to take you back in time and revisit the tale of these lover’s lives simultaneously revealing the horrendous explosion. On the fateful day of their expected meeting 14 April 1944, Bombay habour is ripped by a huge explosion. The Bombay Dock Explosion left the citizens in shock and created chaos and devastation, simultaneously being responsible for separation of the two silent lovers. Separated by destiny, the two lead different lives as they set forth in life after the accident, only to meet again after five decades and recount their versions of the love story.
Kolkata: The flank linking Maa flyover with AJC Bose Road flyover is expected to be inaugurated on Wednesday. State Urban Development minister Firhad Hakim along with senior officials of Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA) and traffic department of Kolkata Police visited the site on Saturday and the minister gave the necessary nod for the inauguration of the flank.”Vehicles travelling from Kolkata airport or New Town-Rajarhat will now be able to take the Maa flyover from Mathpukur area and then take the AJC Bose Road flyover near Beckbagan to alight near Police Training School. Travel time will be reduced considerably as the congestion at Park Circus can be avoided,” said a senior KMDA official. Also Read – Bose & Gandhi: More similar than apart, says Sugata BoseThe construction of the entire flank has been completed and the painting on the side walls of the bridge in blue and white will be finished by Tuesday night. The Kolkata Police are preparing the blue print of the traffic movement using the flyover route. “It will take us a few days to have an idea of the movement of vehicles over the flyover following which we will be able to finalise the movement of traffic,” a senior official of Kolkata Police’s traffic department said. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataAccording to a senior KMDA official, the construction of the new flank on Congress Exhibition Road took time as there was encroachment and other utility services that needed to be cleared. At present, KMDA plans to have a twin branching of Maa and AJC Bose Road flyover towards Gariahat. The proposed south-bound ramp will come up at the crossing near Zeeshan restaurant on Syed Amir Ali Avenue and end in front of Kalyan Jewellers, opposite the Ballygunge Shiksha Sadan School. Engineering consultancy firm Rites is carrying out a study and will come up with a Detailed Project Report soon. A traffic feasibility survey has shown that the proposed ramp could reduce the time one takes to travel towards Jadavpur from the Bypass by more than 30 minutes. The length of the ramp will be 2.2km and it will help the commuters to avoid snarl points such as Quest Mall, Modern High School for Girls and Ballygunge Phari. On weekdays, sometimes it takes about 25 minutes to cross the stretch between the crossing in front of Zeeshan and Pantaloons on the Gariahat side. The traffic snarls get worse when Modern High School opens in the morning and classes get over in the afternoon.
Dad slams ‘disgusting’ hospital window Driver named following fatal collision Get the biggest Daily stories by emailSubscribeSee our privacy noticeThank you for subscribingSee our privacy noticeCould not subscribe, try again laterInvalid EmailPlans have been revealed to build a petrol station and 24-hour drive-thru coffee shop on one of Stoke-on-Trent’s busiest roads. Developer Christian Spencer Leisure has identified vacant land off King Street, Fenton – near KFC – for the proposed development. The petrol station will boast up to eight pumps and have 28 parking spaces. But the developer is refusing to name which ‘major national chain’ has already signed up to operate the drive-thru cafe. The development should create between 25 and 32 full-time equivalent jobs. King Street, Fenton. (Image: Stoke Sentinel) Its planning application to Stoke-on-Trent City Council states: “Although the intended occupiers cannot be named publicly for reasons of commercial confidentiality, firm commitment from operators to progress the scheme is in place, subject to planning permission. “The petrol station is the principal use and the anchor of the scheme. The convenience store would provide the kiosk for fuel sales and cater primarily to passing motorists and, in addition to fuel sales, help to meet their daily convenience top-up shopping needs.” Nearby residents have welcomed the scheme. The land used to be part of the former Diamond Gimson works which stopped operating in 1999. Read MoreCosta Coffee is opening ANOTHER Stoke-on-Trent drive-thru (and here’s where) Fred Oakman, of Wileman Drive, said: “It is a good idea and it won’t bother me at all. It will add to the traffic around King Street but we can’t stop that and something will go there eventually.” Graham Baddeley, of Victoria Place, added: “The land has been vacant for quite some time and there are plenty of things that could be built there. Sainsbury’s would have been quite nice to save us having to go to Stoke.” Joe Heaney, of Fenton, said: “It won’t cause any problems to anyone.” Council planners are set to rule on the application within weeks. Read MoreTop stories on StokeonTrentLive Follow StokeonTrentLive Download our app – You can download our free app for iPhone and iPad from Apple’s App Store, or get the Android version from Google Play. Follow StokeonTrentLive on Facebook – Like our Facebook page to get the latest news in your feed and join in the lively discussions in the comments. Click here to give it a like! Follow us on Twitter – For breaking news and the latest stories, click here to follow SOTLive on Twitter. Follow us on Instagram – Featuring pictures past and present from across Stoke-on-Trent, North Staffordshire & South Cheshire – and if you tag us in your posts, we could repost your picture on our page! We also put the latest news in our Instagram Stories. Click here to follow StokeonTrentLive on Instagram. Police search for missing woman Punter found hiding in bushes