FERNDALE >> Jockey Inoel Beato deicded to take a “working vacation” to Ferndale three years ago.It was a smart decision.Beato rode eight horses over two days at the Humboldt County Fair, won six races, including the Humboldt Marathon aboard A Thousand Aces, and left town with a hefty paycheck, great memories and had fans who bet on his horses asking for more.That is what they will get today and Sunday when the 29-year-old native of the Dominican Republic returns. Beato is slated to ride …
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Read Next UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games Close to quitting, Tiongson finds resurgence with NLEX LATEST STORIES SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief Mac Cardona of GlobalPort makes his PBA return against NLEX on Sunday, Sept. 3, 2017, at Smart Araneta Coliseum. Cardona finished with four points and two rebounds in a 109-99 loss. Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMac Cardona quest to make it back to the PBA has ended with GlobalPort on Sunday.Falling on hard times last year, the 35-year-old Cardona was able to pick up the pieces and he feels rejuvenated after being given a second chance.ADVERTISEMENT The former La Salle standout didn’t deny that he felt overwhelmed with his return.“I feel goosebumps that it’s like I’m back in the UAAP. When I was gone for almost a year, I was able to rest and I felt excited to play again,” said Cardona, who had four points and two rebounds in eight minutes of action.Cardona’s journey back into the PBA started in the PBA D-League where newcomer Zark’s Burger signed him up to play a couple of games in the 2017 Foundation Cup.“It was like a sign from the Lord that when they called me to play in the D-League, I still can make it back playing basketball,” he said.It didn’t take long the opportunity for a PBA return came knocking and it was his former college coach at La Salle in Franz Pumaren, who gave him the shot in his road to redemption.ADVERTISEMENT View comments Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Even if his return ended in a 99-109 defeat to NLEX, which ironically, is the previous PBA team he played for before a drug overdose in an apparent suicide attempt nearly ended his life, Cardona remains grateful for his new beginning, sharing that he has already moved past that dark chapter and is now hoping to live his life to the fullest.“Whatever happened to me in the past — I know I’ve made mistakes — but I tried to move on because I can no longer take those back. I’m just grateful for all the support that I got because if not for them, I wouldn’t have had my drive to get back here. I’m moving forward,” he said. Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding “I feel like a rookie again,” quipped Cardona. “I don’t remember how the court looks. I’m just happy that I made it back to the PBA and the people saw me playing again.”But it’s not just the fans, but also his new Batang Pier teammates, who welcomed him with open arms.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“They’re happy to see me back, especially Terrence (Romeo). He was telling me that I still got it, that they’re there for me. The same goes for Mike (Cortez) and Ryan (Araña),” he said.“I’m just happy to get back. I didn’t expect that I’ll still be able to play in the PBA after all that happened to me last year. So I’m thankful for coach Franz (Pumaren), boss Mikee Romero, and boss Erick Arejola because they gave me a chance that I can still play.” MOST READ
Mahendra Singh Dhoni brought out the full range of shots from his arsenal and plundered an unbeaten 40 off just 26 balls as Rising Pune Supergiant defeated Mumbai Indians by 20 runs in the first qualifier on Tuesday night. Dhoni was at his destructive best, smashing 40 off 26 balls in the death overs to propel Pune to 162 for four before young off-spinner Sundar took three important wickets that led to Mumbai falling short with 142 for nine in Qualifier 1.It was Pune’s third win over Mumbai in as many games this season, providing them with an opportunity to win the coveted trophy in only their second season.Mumbai, who had topped the group stages, remain in the competition and will meet the winner of tomorrow’s Eliminator, between Sunrisers Hyderabad and Kolkata Knight Riders, in Qualifier 2 on Friday.Dhoni was promoted up the order to No. 4 and the move worked perfectly for the visitors, who were struggling early on in the match when they were reduced to 9/2 in the second over. Manoj Tiwary (58) and Ajinkya Rahane then bailed their team out of trouble and added 80 runs for the third wicket before the latter departed after a well-made 56.Dhoni then came out to bat and like he usually does, took some time to settle in, before launching into Mitchell McClenaghan and Jasprit Bumrah in the death overs. Dhoni plundered five sixes during his knock and added 73 runs with Tiwary for the fourth-wicket to help the team reach a challenging total.With the pitch playing unusually slow, anything over 150 was a tricky target despite Mumbai batting deep.advertisementSundar sent back opposition skipper Rohit Sharma, Ambati Rayudu and Kieron Pollard in a space of 12 balls to leave Mumbai gasping at 51 for four in eight overs.Parthiv Patel (52 off 40) was solid at the other end and even used the long handle effectively to smash three sixes on the on side.He eventually ran out of partners with Pandya brothers too back in the pavilion leaving Mumbai at 101 for six in the 15th over. Patel too fell three balls later, leaving the tail- enders to do too much in the end with 60 runs needed off the last 30 balls.Dhoni has been lethal for Pune whenever he has batted in the No. 4 position. Before this knock he had 119 runs at 39.66 and a strike rate of over 146 in the four times he has come out to bat in that position.The 35-year-old also has a terrific record in the playoffs of the IPL and he took his tally to 437 runs in 15 innings at over 44. Dhoni also loves to bat against the Mumbai Indians in this stage of the tournament. He has scored 194 runs against MI in six innings in the playoffs at an average of over 51 with three half-centuries.
Bill SimmonsBill Simmons isn’t done ripping his old employer. Earlier this week, the former ESPN star accused Stephen A. Smith and other Worldwide Leader reporters of leaking anti-Tom Brady material to help the NFL in its Deflategate case. Now, he’s going after the network’s reporting.Saturday, Simmons criticized ESPN for publishing a timeline of Deflategate that includes Chris Mortensen’s report that 11 of the 12 balls used in the first half of New England’s contest against the Indianapolis Colts were “significantly underinflated.” Mortensen’s original report stated that 11 of the 12 balls were underinflated by 2 pounds per square inch – and it was later corrected after the Ted Wells report. The correction stated that 11 of the 12 balls were underinflated, ranging up to 2 pounds per square inch.Clearly, Simmons doesn’t think the piece of news should be included at all.ESPN’s DeflateGate timeline includes Mort’s 11 of 12 “significantly deflated” report like it was true. Hilarious.https://t.co/b1MuJrctYs— Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) July 16, 2016At this point, it doesn’t look like Simmons is going to stop blasting ESPN any time soon.
zoom The LNG carrier CESI Beihai, ordered by a joint venture comprising Japan’s Mitsui O.S.K. Lines (MOL), China COSCO Shipping Corporation, and China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation (SINOPEC), was delivered at Hudong-Zhonghua Shipbuilding in Shanghai on June 1.Featuring a cargo tank capacity of 174,100 cbm, the CESI Beihai is the third vessel to serve the China FOB Transportation Project announced in April 2013.The ship is designated to sail under a long-term charter to transport LNG that SINOPEC purchases from the Australia Pacific LNG project.A total of six LNG carriers are being built at Hudong for the project. The first vessel, the CESI Gladstone, was delivered in October 2016, and the second, the CESI Qingdao, in January of this year.The remaining three will be delivered in succession by 2018, MOL said, which holds 20 percent stake in the joint venture.Total consideration for the construction of the six ships was set at approximately USD 1.5 billion. As disclosed earlier, long term limited recourse debt financing worth USD 1.2 billion was secured for the six ships with a syndicate of banks.
The Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy today announces a national letter writing contest, highlighting the beneficial connection between reading and writing abilities.The “Devotedly, Dad” contest is open to America’s dads and granddads to encourage a love of literacy in their own families. Two winners from each state will be selected and receive a copy of All the Best, My Life in Letters and Other Writings, personally signed by President George H.W. Bush, plus a pair of his favorite and fun First Family socks.“The art of letter writing certainly hasn’t been lost on my dad. For decades, he has been a prolific writer, penning notes, letters and emails to his colleagues, friends and family,” said Jeb Bush, Foundation co-chair. “Of course, the personal letters written to my brothers, sister and me happen to be my favorite…always signed…Devotedly, Dad”Be sure to view the letter contest video from Jeb Bush here.The contest coincides with the release of President George H.W. Bush ’s new edition of All the Best, My Life in Letters and Other Writings, which includes 100 additional pages of photos, diary entries and letters.Contest Rules: • Original letters (maximum word count 800) should be written by fathers or grandfathers to a child or grandchild of any age. Write from the heart, head or funny bone about the importance of literacy and learning – simply sign it “Devotedly, Dad” • Submit letter online here. They’re looking for letters from across America; they’ll randomly select two letters per state. • Deadline for submissions is 5 p.m., April 12, 2013 • Winners will be notified through email. Select letters will be posted on Father’s Day, June 16, 2013 at www.BarbaraBushFoundation.com.The Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy was established in 1989 by former First Lady Barbara Bush. The Foundation supports the growth of family literacy programs across the country, having invested more than $50 million across all 50 states. As a public charity committed to 100% literacy, the Foundation fulfills its mission through support of programs that allow parents and children to learn together. For more information about family literacy visit the Foundation’s web site at www.barbarabushfoundation.com.Source:PR Newswire
Workers say the venue’s Board of Governors locked them out of their jobs on July 19 after months of negotiations for a new collective agreement, and that management has refused to bargain in good faith.The situation has become significantly more intense on Friday with the launch of 2018’s Canadian National Exhibition. Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebook Things are heating up at The Ex this week as skilled technical workers remain locked out amidst an ongoing labour dispute between their union and the city.City of Toronto has locked out @iatse58 long enough, time to get back to the bargaining table so CNE and other events can move forward. Earlier today City Council petitioned for a special meeting tomorrow afternoon. https://t.co/K8PLoxbBYD— Mike Layton (@m_layton) August 20, 2018Members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) Local 58, which represents workers with technical and staging expertise, have been picketing outside the city-owned Exhibition Place for almost a month now. Twitter AppleMark
The creative team includes Set and Costume Designer Pierre-Étienne Locas; Lighting Designer Martin Sirois; Composer and Soundscape Designer Pierre Guy Blanchard; Assistant Director Audrey Blouin; Fight Designer Jean-François Gagnon; Acrobatic Movement Designer Hugues Sarra-Bournet; Make-up Designer Suzanne Trépanier; Voice Coach Marie-Lise Hétu; Stage Manager Marie-Chantal Bonin.Schedule: https://www.youngpeoplestheatre.ca/shows-tickets/what-if-romeo-juliet/Young People’s Theatre | 165 Front Street East, TorontoTickets: $10-$39, HST & service charges extra; subject to change without notice | Online: youngpeoplestheatre.ca Box Office: 416.862.2222 x2For more information visit youngpeoplestheatre.ca Advertisement Facebook Advertisement Young People’s Theatre (YPT) welcomes back the exuberantly physical DynamO Théâtre with a unique take on Shakespeare’s timeless classic. What If Romeo & Juliet… explores how Romeo & Juliet might have ended differently. Would alternative choices have altered the fatal outcomes of rivalry and prejudice? What if Romeo & Juliet… will be presented on the Mainstage from October 10th to 19th.This engaging reinterpretation of Shakespeare’s most famous love story exemplifies YPT’s season theme: the spirited motivation of young people to change the world around them. This engaging production is a perfect representation of that, conveyed in this case through stunning acrobatic movement.What If Romeo & Juliet… is Created and Directed by Jackie Gosselin, performed by Rosalie Dell’Aniello, Jérémie Earp, Agathe Foucault, and Rémy Savard, with Shakespeare’s voice by Lucien Bergeron. Login/Register With: LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Twitter
Houston: The Indian-American foster mother of Sherin Mathews has got her passport back, nearly a week after charges were dropped against her in connection with the tragic death of her 3-year-old daughter, whose body was discovered in a culvert in suburban Dallas in 2017. Sini Mathews was charged with child endangerment after she left her adoptive daughter Sherin alone at home while she and her husband Wesley Mathews went out for dinner with their 4-four-year old biological daughter on the night before the toddler was reported missing from their house in Richardson, Texas. Also Read – Imran Khan arrives in China, to meet Prez Xi Jinping Sini had been jailed on a child abandonment charge, but the charge was dismissed after the district attorney said there was not enough evidence to move forward and released her from the Dallas County Jail. On Thursday, a Dallas judge ordered authorities to return Sini’s passport, WBAP, an AM News/Talk radio station in Dallas reported. Defence attorney Heath Harris said the judge had little choice but to return the passport which was taken when Sini was arrested. He said Sini had no plans to go anywhere, but can do so if she chooses so. Also Read – US blacklists 28 Chinese entities over abuses in Xinjiang “I am blessed,” Sini, a nurse, said after the charges against her were dropped and told the media that she was looking forward to meeting her biological daughter. “I want to thank the DA’s office for dismissing the case and I am looking forward to being reunited with my daughter,” Sini said. She had lost parental rights to her biological daughter who has been adopted by her relatives in Houston. Lawyers are now reviewing options to possibly return her to her mother, Sini, the WBAP report said. Sini’s husband Wesley is still in Dallas County Jail for capital murder linked to Sherin’s death. He will face trial in May this year and is presently being held on a USD 1.1 million bond. Sini and Wesley, who hail from Kerala, adopted Sherin from an orphanage in Bihar in July 2016. After Sherin disappeared, Wesley had first claimed that he had punished her by making her stand outside their home at 3 am for not drinking her milk. After Sherin’s body was found in a culvert a kilometre from their home in October, 2017, Wesley then changed his version to he had tried to feed her the milk and that she choked on it. Wesley was indicted for capital murder by a grand jury and for tampering with evidence. Wesley, if convicted, could face the death penalty or an automatic sentence of life without parole. An autopsy report in January 2018 showed that Sherin died of homicidal violence. Sherin’s case had attracted international attention and the Indian government had revoked the Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI) immigration status of Wesley and Sini.
New Delhi: Around 700 persons joined the BJP during an hour long Facebook live session hosted by party’s Delhi unit chief Manoj Tiwari on Thursday. Tiwari welcomed the new members of the party saying their membership will be formalised within a week. “The Facebook live session that lasted for around an hour reached to over four lakh persons and more than 2,000 persons interacted with the Delhi BJP president. Around 700 persons became members of the party in this unique digital initiative,” said Delhi BJP’s social media and media co-incharge Neelkant Bakshi.Tiwari said not only supporters of the BJP but even people of the country were working actively to ensure victory of the party to make Narendra Modi Prime Minister of the country for the second term. Answering a question on full statehood, Tiwari said his party had promised a “review” of full statehood. “We had promised a review of the full statehood but no one had expected that an elected Chief Minister like Arvind Kejriwal would threaten to obstruct Republic Day parade,” Tiwari said. He said anyone joining the BJP would do so because the Congress was “exposed” as it had failed to deliver when it was in power. In the live chat, Tiwari said by not implementing the Ayushman Bharat scheme in Delhi, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal thought that he can deny credit of the scheme to Prime Minister Narendra Modi. “Its unfortunate that benefits of the scheme are being denied to Delhiites. Its a sign of ‘Vinash Kale Vipreet Buddhi'”. The event was coordinated by media team of Delhi including incharge of media and social media team Pratyush Kanth and convener Ashok Goyal. Recently, the Delhi BJP chief had interacted with Twitter users in a ‘Twitter Chaupal’ at Burari in North East Delhi constituency represented by him in the Lok Sabha. The social media team has also planned regular appearances of Tiwari on different online platforms to woo voters, specially youngsters.