Return statue to gateway to the city

first_imgI would like to comment on the possible relocation of the Statue of Liberty replica that stood for decades in Liberty Park.Let me point out that Schenectady was settled by immigrants, primarily the Dutch, in the mid-1600s. It encompasses so much history — the survival of the Stockade District, the former Hotel VanCurler (now SCCC), the obvious name of the Western Gateway Bridge and the Glen Sanders Mansion to name a few. Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion That area of State Street has light posts chosen a number of years ago to replicate older-style lighting. Even the college suites housing for SCCC students was designed to blend into the neighborhood.It astounds me that anyone familiar with this part of New York state could possibly say that the statue “doesn’t seem to fit anymore” but chose to rename the park Gateway Plaza.Personally, what I feel doesn’t fit into such a historic area is light saber pillars. Why would you install something that resembles a fictional energy sword from a Star Wars futuristic movie in a city over 300 years old?As much as I appreciate my Italian heritage, I also appreciate my Dutch heritage and believe the statue should be returned to the “gateway” of the city where all who enter can appreciate it.Sharon TrumplerScotiaMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationlast_img read more

Australian pub cluster adds to second-wave coronavirus fears

first_imgAustralia’s most populous state reported 14 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, with a growing cluster at a pub used by freight drivers travelling the country adding to fears of a second wave of the virus.The new cases in New South Wales come after neighboring Victoria state last week forced about 5 million people back into lockdown after a surge of new coronavirus cases.Australia has avoided the high COVID-19 casualty numbers of other nations with swift and strict measures, recording fewer than 10,000 coronavirus cases in total, or about a sixth of the daily cases seen in the United States in recent days. Topics : “They are not being tested.”In a bid to curtail the spread, authorities urged anyone who attended the pub to isolate for two weeks and get tested.On Monday, long lines of cars were waiting more than three hours to attend a drive-through test clinic at the venue.The virus, however, has already spread to at least one more high traffic venue, with a patron at Sydney’s Star casino on July 4 testing positive for COVID-19, the Star Entertainment Group Ltd said.In Victoria state, authorities on Monday reported 177 new coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours, the eighth consecutive day of triple digit rises in COVID-19 cases, but down from 273 cases the previous day.”It may not be our peak yet,” Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton told reporters in Melbourne. “I would like to see a week of decreasing numbers.”Australia’s Minister for Health Greg Hunt said 1,000 military personnel had been dispatched to help state officials curtail the spread of the coronavirus.Scientists, meanwhile, have begun trials of a potential COVID-19 vaccine developed at the University of Queensland.Volunteers were due to receive the first vaccine dose on Monday morning. Preliminary results of the trial are expected to be released by the end of September, the university said.center_img However, authorities are worried about rising cases of community transmission.This accounted for 8 of the 14 new cases in New South Wales in the last 24 hours, while the rest were people who have returned from overseas and are already in hotel quarantine or have returned from Victoria.The bulk of these community transmission cases were people who recently visited a pub in southwest Sydney, the Crossroads Hotel, taking the cluster to 13 in all.”The concern is that this hotel is used by freight drivers who are transporting essential supplies across the country,” Australia’s Deputy Chief Medical Officer Michael Kidd told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.last_img read more

Granit Xhaka still can’t accept Unai Emery decision and seeks showdown talks

first_imgAdvertisement Granit Xhaka played twice for Switzerland during the international break having missed Arsenal’s last four matches (Picture: Getty)Granit Xhaka is seeking showdown talks with Unai Emery and still cannot accept the Arsenal manager’s decision to strip him of the captaincy.The 27-year-old was confirmed as Laurent Koscielny’s permanent successor as club skipper earlier this season but the Switzerland international lasted less than a month in the role after he swore at his own fans and stormed down the tunnel after he was substituted during the recent draw against Crystal Palace.Xhaka has missed the last five matches in all competitions with Emery claiming he was not in the right frame of mind to be selected for the defeat at Leicester prior to the international break.AdvertisementAdvertisementThe former Borussia Monchengladbah midfielder played for his country twice in the last week, scoring in a 6-1 win over Gibraltar on Monday, and is due to return to Arsenal’s training base ahead of this weekend’s must-win match against Southampton.ADVERTISEMENTXhaka has been heavily linked with a move to Italy with both Milan clubs, as well as Newcastle, said to be interested and he claims Arsenal are well aware of his intentions ahead of the January window. Metro Sport ReporterThursday 21 Nov 2019 12:46 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.8kShares Granit Xhaka still can’t accept Unai Emery decision and seeks showdown talks Granit Xhaka has not played for Arsenal since he swore at his own fans during the recent Premier League draw against Crystal Palace (Picture: Getty)He told Swiss broadcaster SRF: ‘I have a clear idea as to how things should proceed, and Arsenal know this as well.‘Although I still have a contract with them, I will be glad to return to the club – so we can finally sort matters out.‘There will surely be a solution – as I can’t accept what has happened with me.’More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalXhaka is yet to issue a full apology for his actions, while Emery has admitted he may already have played his last game for Arsenal.He said: ‘As a coach I have a responsibility for the team.‘We need a player like Xhaka. But also, I don’t know if he’s going to play (for us) again.’Will Granit Xhaka play for Arsenal again?Yes0%No0%Share your resultsShare your resultsTweet your resultsMORE: ‘Arsenal need me focused’ – Lucas Torreira discusses future amid rumours he wants to leaveMORE: Why managing Arsenal ‘did not appeal’ to Jose Mourinho Advertisement Commentlast_img read more

Brisbane property price growth higher than Sydney last quarter

first_imgSydney property prices fell 1.4 per cent in Sept quarter. Picture: Destination NSWBRISBANE property prices grew at a faster rate than Sydney last quarter, official data out today has found.The Residential Property Price Index (RPPI) for Brisbane grew 0.7 per cent in the September quarter — trailing only Hobart (3.4 per cent) and Melbourne (1.1 per cent) growth in the three month period. The only other capital to see growth in the quarter was Adelaide (0.7 per cent), with all others posting negatives: Sydney (-1.4 per cent), Perth (-1 per cent), Darwin (-2.6 per cent) and Canberra (-0.2 per cent).Latest Australian Bureau of Statistics figures showed Sydney has hit a -1.4 per cent price slump after five quarters of positive growth, with its houses down 1.3 per cent and units down 1.4 per cent.More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus22 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market22 hours agoBrisbane logged 0.7 per cent quarterly growth in September.Australian homes hit a massive $6.779 trillion at the end of the September quarter, up $14.843b over the three month period, according to ABS.“The mean price of residential dwellings fell $1,200 to $681,100 and the number of residential dwellings rose by 40,200 to 9,954,100 in the September quarter 2017.”Hobart had the biggest annual rise over the year to September (13.8 per cent), which saw the weighted average of the eight capital cities rise 8.3 per cent through the year to the September quarter 2017.Brisbane had the lowest annual growth for the year to September (3.5 per cent). Melbourne saw 13.2 per cent annually, Sydney 9.4 per cent, Canberra 6.9 per cent and Adelaide 4.8 per cent, while Darwin (-6.3 per cent) and Perth (-2.4 per cent) went backwards. FOLLOW SOPHIE FOSTER ON FACEBOOK FREE: GET THE COURIER-MAIL’S REALESTATE NEWS DIRECT TO INBOXlast_img read more

The International Evidence on Cannabis – Facebook Event

first_imgMedia Release SayNopeToDope NZ 11 August 2020The SayNopeToDope Campaign is hosting a Facebook event this Wednesday (12th) with three international experts on cannabis legalisation.Author, consultant, advisor to three U.S. presidential administrations including Barack Obama, and assistant professor, Kevin Sabet, Ph.D., has studied, researched, written about, and implemented drug policy for more than 20 years. He is currently the President and CEO of SAM (Smart Approaches to Marijuana). Professor Mary Cannon is a Professor of Psychiatric Epidemiology and Youth Mental Health in the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI), and Will Jones III is a Communications and Outreach Associate at Smart Approaches to Marijuana (SAM) and Social Justice advocate.Topics covered include social justice with Will Jones, the cannabis industry with Dr Kevin Sabet, and mental health with Professor Mary Cannon.  Spokesperson Aaron Ironside conducts the interviews.“THE INTERNATIONAL EVIDENCE ON CANNABIS – Social Justice, Big Marijuana, Mental Health”Wednesday 12 August 2020, 10amFacebook Live – Facebook.com/SayNopeToDopeNZlast_img read more

Chris Perdue to participate in Winter X Games

first_imgOSGOOD, Ind. — In just a little over 2 weeks, Special Olympian, Chris Perdue, 18, of Osgood will go to the Winter X Games in Aspen, Colorado.The games will be held January 26-29.Perdue has already made a trip to Vermont to train for the Special Olympics World Winter Games in Austria this coming March.His Team USA coach invited him along with 8 other athletes to the Winter X Games.Perdue will participate in the 3rd annual Unified Snowboarding Races and the Unified Snowboard Duel Slalom.last_img

Lawmakers to donate special session salary to Military Family Relief Fund

first_imgIndianapolis, In. — Senate President Pro Tem David Long (R-Fort Wayne) said Senate Republican leaders will donate their per diem and mileage reimbursements to the Military Family Relief Fund (MFRF), which provides financial assistance to veterans and their families for basic needs like food, housing, child care, medical services, education, transportation and utilities. The MFRF is administered by the state through the Indiana Veterans’ Affairs Commission.“I respect and agree with the governor’s decision to call a special session, as there are several critical items that need addressed before the 2019 session,” Long said. “However, we believe that it is appropriate for us to donate any pay we might receive during a special session to a charity, and therefore, my leadership team and I are pledging to donate our pay for the special session back to the state via the Military Family Relief Fund. While it is entirely up to each individual legislator what to do with their per diem payment, we are encouraging our colleagues to follow our lead and donate to the MFRF. We believe this is the right thing to do.”Long added that donating to the MFRF respects Indiana taxpayers by keeping the money within the state while providing much-needed resources to veterans and their families.last_img read more

Flip out

first_imgOLD TOWN — The Mount Desert Island YMCA girls gymnastics team traveled to a meet March 28 at the Old Town YMCA. They competed against Waterville and Old Town/Orono YMCA’s. Level 4, 9-10 year old results:4) Natalie Klaver: vault 8.2; bars 7.6; beam 8.45; floor 8.3; overall 32.555) Chelsea Schroeder: vault 8.9; bars 6.4; beam 7.2; floor 8.75; overall 31.256) Julianne Wheeler: vault 8.8; bars 5.6; beam 8.1; floor 8.7; overall 31.20Level 4, Jr/Sr 11-and-over results:4) Alice Antoniou: vault 8.9; bars 7.3; beam 6.6; floor 7.15; overall 29.95Level 5, 9-10 year old results:2) Darcy Kanu: vault 8.1; bars 7.8; beam 8.35; floor 8.7; overall 32.95This is placeholder textThis is placeholder textLevel 5, Jr 11-and-over results:3) Camilla Tai: vault 7.7; bars 8.0; beam 8.55; floor 8.6; overall 32.85 admin Latest Posts Latest posts by admin (see all) Biocenter_img Hancock County Court News Nov. 3 thorugh Dec. 11 – January 22, 2015 State budget vs. job creation – January 22, 2015 House fire in Winter Harbor – October 27, 2014last_img read more

Syracuse players react to self-imposed postseason ban after loss at Pittsburgh

first_img Published on February 8, 2015 at 11:52 pm Contact Jacob: jmklinge@syr.edu | @Jacob_Klinger_ PITTSBURGH — After Syracuse players found out they had no postseason to play for on Wednesday, they had a team meeting, then a players-only one.Junior guard Trevor Cooney led the second discussion and the team left with the same goal that it started the season with: winning basketball games. There was just only going to be nine left, regardless of how many they won.Following the Orange’s (15-8, 6-4 Atlantic Coast Conference) 83-77 loss to Pittsburgh (16-8, 5-5) on Saturday, Syracuse players spoke publicly for the first time since SU announced a self-imposed postseason ban for the basketball team — following a years-long NCAA investigation that has yet to produce NCAA sanctions — and shared their reactions to the ban. They said they’d be no less motivated, that the experience brought them closer together and the sanctions aren’t about them.“There’s nothing to really say about it, I wish I could have something to say,” Cooney said. “But there’s nothing that you can say … I’m not saying (I want to say something) … It just has nothing to do with us.”The postseason doesn’t change anything, players said, in that every game is personal regardless of what’s going on off the court.AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“It’s a basketball game no matter what,” freshman point guard Kaleb Joseph said. He also said having no NCAA Tournament to lose out on doesn’t take any pressure off the team or help him or anyone else relax.Sophomore forward B.J. Johnson said the team is, if anything, more fired up to perform.And Rakeem Christmas said the ban has made a close team closer.“Everyone’s been tighter,” he said. “We’ve always been a tight family, but everyone’s tighter now. Everyone’s been just trying to give it their all. “It’s a deadline to our season, so everyone’s just trying to play through it.”The team’s reaction on the court was a positive one. After narrowly defeating ACC bottom-dweller Virginia Tech on Tuesday, SU ran Pittsburgh, an NCAA Tournament bubble team, to the wire in the Panthers’ home arena.Syracuse got one of its most complete performances of the season against Pitt with Ron Patterson and Johnson delivering a combined 23 minutes off the bench.Ultimately, though, the ban has left the team with only so much to look forward to.“I said a few things to the team and they responded well today,” Cooney said “… Overall, we didn’t come out here and get blown out by 25. So I mean I’m proud of how we played and how we fought.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

USC accepts $260 million donation

first_imgIn an interview with USC News, Provost Charles Zukoski called the donation “a provost’s dream,” saying that it would accelerate the growth of the University’s research programs. Folt said the foundation has donated annually since the 1980s. The Lord Foundation of California is a nonprofit organization established to support education and research through donations to USC. The foundation is one of four founded by Thomas Lord, the former president of manufacturing company LORD Corporation. The other three Lord Foundations support the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Duke University and the Cleveland Clinic. The sale of LORD Corporation in April left sales totaling over $1 billion, which will be divided equally among the four foundations.  “The flexibility and scale of this gift allows us to build much more rapidly than normally possible upon cross-university strengths,” Zukoski said.  USC will receive a $260 million gift from the Lord Foundation of California, the University announced Wednesday. The gift ranks as the 34th largest donation to an institute of higher education since 1967, according to a list published by The Chronicle of Higher Education.  The University first learned of the possibility of the gift about a month ago, but the donation was only confirmed in the last week and a half, Folt said. She said the University hasn’t determined how the donation will be distributed to specific programs and departments yet, but she called the gift a “game-changer” for USC.center_img Folt said the donation will undergo approvals and other administrative processes over the next year, after which the University will begin to allocate the funds across its schools. The gift’s disbursement will extend across multiple disciplines and emphasize development in areas relevant to the future, including artificial intelligence, analytics and sustainability, Folt said. “This gift is such a large gift with so much flexibility that I really see it as a great responsibility to do the right thing, to take the time that it takes to determine how best to use this so that we are really setting up effects that are going to last for the next decade or two,” President Carol Folt told the Daily Trojan. “We’ve used [the donations] every year to help teaching and research programs in engineering and in the business school,” Folt said. “It’s already had a very big impact here, and now we have a chance to say ‘What did we achieve, and how can we expand that and just do the marvelous?’” The Lord Foundation of California donated $260 million to USC, the University announced Wednesday. (Daily Trojan file photo) “I think it will allow us to address these major societal issues in a way that will really help our University help set a course for us for decades to come,” Folt said.last_img read more