Steelers to retire Hall of Famer Greene’s No. 75

first_imgIn this Jan. 1, 2014 file photo, North Texas alumni and former Pittsburgh Steeler defensive tackle Joe Greene waves towards the stands during the second half of the Heart of Dallas NCAA college football game against UNLV in Dallas. (AP Photo/Mike Stone, File)LATROBE, Pa. (AP) – Joe Greene’s No. 75 now belongs to the ages.The Pittsburgh Steelers announced Wednesday the team will retire the Hall of Fame defensive end’s number during a game against the Baltimore Ravens on Nov. 2.Greene, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1969 NFL draft, helped Pittsburgh win four Super Bowls during his 13-year career as the heart of what became the “Steel Curtain” defense. The 10-time Pro Bowler was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1987.“I’m overwhelmed with emotions for sure,” Greene said in a statement. “That was my first thought. I was just very, very surprised and I almost fell out of my seat.”No Steeler has worn No. 75 since Greene retired in 1981. He is the second player in team history to have his number retired. Pittsburgh retired Hall of Fame defensive lineman Ernie Stautner’s No. 70 in 1964.Chairman Dan Rooney said the idea to honor Greene had been in the works for some time and it only seemed natural that Greene be the first of the core that turned the franchise into a dynasty in the 1970s to have his number taken out of the rotation for good.“He was a catalyst,” Rooney said. “He was the one that did it all and so to retire his number is something that we feel is a special thing.”___Online:AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP_NFLThis is a Sept. 1970, file photo showing Pittsburgh Steelers’ Joe Greene. (AP Photo/File)last_img read more

‘Idol’ rocker Daughtry set to kick off A.V. Fair

first_imgFair admission will be $8 for visitors ages 12 to 61, $5 for children 6 to 11, and $5 for visitors 62 and older. Admission will be free for active-duty military, with military identification, and for kids younger than 6. All concert and arena-event tickets will go on sale at 8a.m. June2 at the fairgrounds ticket office. Go to www.avfair.com – under A.V. Fair, Concerts – for ticket office opening-day procedures. Advance admission and carnival-ride wristband tickets will also be available at the Antelope Valley Mall and Wal-Mart beginning Aug.1. Concert tickets also will be sold via Ticketmaster, online at www.avfair.com or by telephone at (661)948-6060, Ext.230, beginning at 10a.m. June2. All concert tickets include admission to the fair. Grandstand seating is free at all concerts except McEntire’s, where there will be a charge of $30. McEntire will perform Aug.25, and ticket prices will be $85, $65 and $30. Lone Star with Charlie Daniels will perform Aug27. Seats will cost $65 and $30. LANCASTER – “American Idol” rocker Chris Daughtry and his band will give the lead-off concert at this year’s 69th annual Antelope Valley Fair and Alfalfa Festival. Daughtry and his eponymous band will perform Aug.24, with tickets selling for $75 and $40. Daughtry will join a concert lineup that includes country music star Reba McEntire, classic rock group Heart and alternative rock band The All-American Rejects, with singer Alana Grace. Among other performers will be country group Lone Star with fiddler Charlie Daniels. The fair – with the theme “Wild Flowers and Wild Fun” – will run from Aug.24 to Sept.3 at the fairgrounds, 2551 W. Ave. H. Heart will perform Aug.28. Tickets will run $65 and $35. The All-American Rejects with Alana Grace will take the stage Aug.29 for $65 and $30. Aug. 26 will be Pay One Price Day with admission of $15, including carnival rides and concert seats. Tickets to the Figure 8 race, professional bull-riders show and demolition derby, as well as advance $5 admission tickets and $15 carnival-ride wristbands, will also be sold at the ticket office starting June2. The carnival wristband price will go up to $20 Aug.27.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Police abuse

first_imgMaybe that’s why Rosenbaum says that “What is riding on (the ACLU’s appeal for an expanded decree) is the effect and integrity of the decree.” Because so far, the decree has demonstrated little effect and even less integrity – something its supporters are loath to concede. Chemerinsky claims that what happened May 1 “suggests an institution permissive of excessive force,” but the facts indicate just the opposite. Yes, what happened in MacArthur Park was an outrage, but unlike past instances of abuse – in the LAPD and throughout City Hall – this one has been met with a swift and serious response, not stonewalling or whitewashing. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa has demanded accountability. Chief William Bratton has demoted the two top cops in charge that day. And four separate investigations – including one from the the FBI – are under way. Far from evidencing ,” the response since May 1 shows that Bratton’s LAPD has no tolerance for “an institution permissive of excessive force excessive force whatsoever. It seems to be managing its problems just fine – without need for further federal interference.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AS the May Day melee demonstrated, the Los Angeles Police Department still needs a lot of reform. What it doesn’t need, though, is an expanded federal consent decree. Far from it. As Mark Rosenbaum, the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California’s legal director, admits, incidents like what happened in MacArthur Park are “the sort of misconduct that the decree was designed to prevent.” He can say that again. The Justice Department’s consent decree over the LAPD has been in effect for six years now. It costs $50 million a year to administer, and takes hundreds of cops off the beat to oversee. Yet it did nothing to stop officers from using excessive force against protesters and journalists at this month’s pro-immigration rally. Which makes one wonder why in the world the ACLU and lawyer Erwin Chemerinsky think that expanding the consent decree is the solution to the department’s woes. Last week, they demanded that a judge consider making the onerous and costly policy even more onerous and costly. Maybe this is about saving face. The consent decree was negotiated and approved by city leaders eager to make the overhyped Rampart police scandal disappear. Hastily, they succumbed to ACLU bullying and agreed to the decree years before Rampart was thoroughly investigated, and the truth was learned – that the abuses of a few bad cops did not reflect any broader trends at the department. Six years later, we know not only that there was no need for the consent decree, but that the self-interest of those who oversee it makes lifting it all but impossible. Worse yet, May 1 proved that bureaucratic oversight from thousands of miles away is no safeguard against police abuse. last_img read more

Tottenham target refuses to rule out £8.4million move

first_img Mainz star Yunus Malli Tottenham target Yunus Malli has refused to commit his future to Mainz.The 24-year-old enjoyed a brilliant campaign last season and ended the year with 11 goals in all competitions.Tottenham have since been tracking the attacking midfielder and they have been alerted to his £8.4m release-clause, which runs out at the end of July.Speculation has intensified in recent weeks due to Malli’s release-clause nearing expiry and now the Turk has refused to rule out moving this summer.“I can’t and won’t rule anything out. What’s the point of saying ‘I play for Mainz this season’ and things look different in two weeks?” Malli told Kicker.“Right now, my focus is to get fit. If nothing changes, that’s fine. I’m comfortable here and Mainz are in the Europa League this season.” 1last_img read more

ANTI-DRUGS CAMPAIGNER CALLS ON MINISTER TO COME CLEAN ON CUTS

first_imgDonegal anti-drugs campaigner, PJ Blake is calling on the Minister for Justice and the Garda Commissioner to come clean about the future of the Drugs Unit in Donegal.His call comes following the news that cannabis estimated to be worth in the region of €240,000 was seized in the Garvanach area outside Ballintra, south Donegal on Thursday night.Mr Blake has also warned that the news that the Cavan-Monaghan garda division’s dedicated drugs unit is being axed with immediate effect could be a sign of things to come in Donegal. According to information received by the Monaghan based Clr Robbie Gallagher, who originally hails from Cloncarney, Termon, local gardaí were given the order with little warning earlier this week to immediately disband the Divisional Drugs Unit after 14 years in operation. The four gardaí and one detective sergeant currently working in the unit will be redeployed into the general force.“This is another major blow to law and order in this region,” said Clr Gallagher.“This shocking news came with no warning and it means that there will no longer be any dedicated drugs unit in Cavan or Monaghan. It’s understood the move is a result of fears that the uniform section of the gardaí locally will be dangerously understaffed as a result of major cuts to garda resources over the past year.“I’d now fear that the same might happen in Donegal. People like PJ Blake and various gardai have over the years made an important contribution to the battle against drugs and it would be terrible if that were to be lost now due to cutbacks,” he said His concerns have been echoed by Mr Blake.“The Donegal Drugs Unit has been in operation for around 20 years and has been extremely successful in tackling the sale and supply of drugs in this region. Since its establishment, this intelligence-led task force has been directly responsible for many of the drugs prosecutions in this division.“I am seriously struggling to understand how the Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan and Justice Minister Alan Shatter can justify leaving Cavan-Monaghan and possibly Donegal with no gardaí dedicated solely to targeted drugs criminals and intercepting the sale and supply of drugs in our communities. The consequences of shutting such a unit, particularly in a border region, will be far-reaching,” said the Letterkenny-based campaigner.He added the Cavan-Monaghan decision was only the tip of the iceberg“This is just the latest in what has become an outright attack on community garda resources around the country. Gardaí are at the end of their tether as a result of Minister Shatter’s cuts and his outright refusal to lift the ban on garda recruitment. “They have been left no choice but to stand by and watch the dismantling of vital garda services that have benefited our communities over the years. I will be seeking an immediate explanation from Minister Shatter about what is happening in Cavan-Monaghan and clarity on whether similar cuts are imminent here in Donegal. I will also be calling on our political leaders and first citizens in the various towns to join the fight today.”ANTI-DRUGS CAMPAIGNER CALLS ON MINISTER TO COME CLEAN ON CUTS was last modified: January 25th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

HERO’S WELCOME HOME FOR WORLD IRISH DANCE CHAMP GERARD

first_imgDONEGAL’S World-beating Irish dancer Gerard Byrne has been given a hero’s welcome home in Donegal tonight – after returning home with his SECOND world title in three years.Family, friends and supporters packed into The Diamond to greet the dancer from McNeilis Cunningham Boyle School of Dance.“I’m over the moon at winning back my world title and I still can’t believe it,” said the Abbey Vocational School student. “I want to thank to my dance teachers Claire Mc Nelis, Isobel Cunningham, Déirdre O’ Reilly and Eilis. I couldn’t of done it without them,” he said.Friends from the local soccer club and Four Masters GAA club joined the crowds along with hundreds of others.Gerard’s fame after his victory in London has caught the imagination of the people of Britain.He was one of two world dancing champions to give an exhibition of the art form on the BBC2 show Newsnight. Presenter Jeremy Paxman introduced Gerard and Julia O’Rourke from New York at the end of his TV show last night when they performed a hard-shoe reel.The World Irish Dancing Championships are taking place in London this week for the first time in its 44-year history.And it’s one week young Gerard will never forget.Maith thú.You can watch Gerard on Newsnight here: HERO’S WELCOME HOME FOR WORLD IRISH DANCE CHAMP GERARD was last modified: April 18th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Gerard ByrneWorld Irish Dancing Championlast_img read more

Five questions with opposing beat writer, Raiders vs. Vikings

first_imgFive questions with Courtney Cronin, a former Bay Area News Group colleague who covers the Vikings for ESPN.com:Q: The Vikings sank $84 million in guaranteed money for quarterback Kirk Cousins. His stats weren’t good in a 21-16 loss to Green Bay. Is he or is he not the quarterback that can get them deep into the playoffs?Kirk Cousins is who they thought he was, and he’s admitted as much along the way. During minicamp, Cousins talked about his own reality of being a .500 quarterback but …last_img

Limpopo hotline to fight fraud

first_img25 July 2005The Limpopo government has launched a 24-hour anti-fraud hotline to fight corruption in the province’s administration.Auditing firm Deloitte and Touche will manage and service the hotline in partnership with Tip-Offs Anonymous, an independent and confidential whistle-blowing hotline service.According to provincial legislature spokesperson Kenny Mathivha, they have been told by Deloitte and Touche that seven out of 10 fraudsters are men. These can be hard to identify, as most are well-educated, highly respected family men.“Eighty percent of fraudsters have more than five years of service and are generally older than 30 years,” said Mathivha. Most are unlikely to have a criminal record.The hotline will operate in the five languages: Tsonga, Venda, Sipedi, Afrikaans and English.“Whoever calls remains anonymous unless they want their names to be recorded for future contacts,” said Mathivha.Tshenuwani Farisani, Speaker of the Limpopo legislature, said the hotline would help people report theft, employee fraud, crime syndicates, lack of government procedure, abuse of government property, theft of time, bribery, blackmail and financial mismanagement.“As a law-making institution we must be ready and wise for any eventuality,” said Farisani.Those reporting suspected fraud cases should provide the date and time of the event, as well as details such as the place it occurred, the names of those involved and the grounds for suspicion. They should also say whether they have any evidence or witnesses.The hotline is already operational on 0800 204 647, or whistleblowers can send an e-mail to limpopoleg@tip-offs.com.Source: BuaNewslast_img read more

Enterprise 2.0 Company Results: How Good is Good News?

first_imgMassive Non-Desk Workforce is an Opportunity fo… 3 Areas of Your Business that Need Tech Now alex williams Tags:#enterprise#news It’s exciting for us to see young companies like Jive grow so fast. But before we pop the champagne bottles, it’s important to take these results with a grain of salt.Jive announced today that it had record results for the past year, up 85%. That’s impressive in the sense that Jive is proving that its technology is gaining acceptance in the market and the fact that the company, founded in 2001, is almost 10 years old. But we also need to consider that with any young company, there’s a lot riding on news like this.Jive has some big-league investors. It’s critical that Jive shows them that all is going well and the road ahead is paved with gold.That may well be the case. Jive is an important player in the emerging Enterprise 2.0 space. Along with its record revenues, Jive also announced that its bookings are up and its employee count now stands at 200 people, up 50%. Also, its Jive World event in 2010 will be twice as big as last year’s.So, hats off to Jive in that regard for showing us, as an example, that its employee count is up. They are doing well, no doubt about it. But we have no idea how the results compare to last year and what the size of these deals look like. Jive does not share this information, as is the case with most private companies. It is up to us to make our own judgements about what’s really is meaningful.We made the same point last week about Socialtext posting record results. We were equally curious about its results, too.All of these companies reporting great news is a sign that the Enterprise 2.0 space is growing, but we need to be careful not to get too excited. Young companies can grow very fast. But it’s all relative compared to big companies. Numbers can look impressive but more often than not, you need to look at a number of factors before making any quick calls on how the company is actually faring in the market.center_img Related Posts IT + Project Management: A Love Affair Cognitive Automation is the Immediate Future of…last_img read more